1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Banned Baby Names

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by naterprius, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Mar 9 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]403073[/snapback]</div>
    Yep but what Russell Peters (he's a comedian in case you haven't heard of him) was implying was that they don't choose an English nickname that's close to their own name. I have a friend name Baljit and he said to call him Bobby which is close enough. It'd be weird if he decided to call himself Fred.

Oh, and I know someone called Turbo, Power, Una

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    My daughter, 23 year old Hannah, is getting married next month, to Robbert ... who I am SURE is the only person on the planet with the last name of Phaneuf. Life is so cruel. <_<

P.S. if your last name is Hunt, don't name your son, "Mike".

3. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Finally, I get a chance to post this link! It's been in my favorites for years, and rarely gets 'trotted out'. Requires Java, but appears to be safe.

http://www.babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

Make sure to select the "Boys" or "Girls" checkbox at the top… otherwise, it will show the female and male variants of each name.

Try checking some historical names, like Adolph (whose popularity seemed to decline suddenly in the 1930's and 1940's. Go figure!). Remember that awful 1980's mall singing teen "Tiffany"? Suppose she was the reason the name suddenly popular in the 1980's, and suddenly became unpopular almost immediately afterward? I could make an "I think we're alone now" joke, but am holding back. Gary became popular about the same time Gary Cooper's acting career was taking off, while Douglas became popular around the time of the second world war, and peaked right about the time of the Korean war… paralleling Douglas MacArthur's famous military career.

It is also interesting to look at popularity of names in recent years. Look at both boy and girl variants of Alex. They were flat through the 1970s, but increased tremendously in the 1980's and remain high today. Jordan was almost unheard of until the 1970's, and then soared in popularity. Remember the film "Heathers", a social commentary about the overuse of the name and its popularity among teenage girls in the 1980's? Check out Heather. Paris recently became extremely popular… although being named after Paris Hilton would probably scar a girl for life. One of the strangest? There has been a recent spike (over the past couple of years) of boys being named Boston.

Check out some religious names. Moses was fairly popular in the late 1800's, but declined after that. Ezekiel picked up popularity within the past few years, and Malachi has just recently seen a popularity spike, as did Noah (is this because of global warming?). Some of the vilified biblical characters are less popular… for some reason Judas doesn't even register on this list. Again, go figure!

Anyway, fun reading. Urhines doesn't even make the list, by the way.

Dan

4. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Someone should have told Mr/Mrs Leer not to name their daughter "Shanda".

My former boss used to tell us about a friend named Harry Ball. :D

Y'know - you've got 9 months to think up a name & try it out (Ezekial Jethro, take out the garbage!). Put the time to good use, already.

And i know two sets of twin boys where the younger twin is named Adam. Wouldn't you think Adam should be the older one (first man and all. . .)?

Note to "hill" - my daughter married a man whose last name was Dingeldein. She did not take his name & tried to get him to take hers, since he had two brothers to carry on the name. Almost worse - my son & his wife hyphenated their last names & gave that name to their children. Ugh! :huh:

5. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A couple I knew in residency couldn't agree on the name for their son they were expecting.

He (a macho hunter type) was insisting that the boy's name shall be "Cougar."

She took the position that it should not be...

The baby had no name for the first, oh, seven months or so of life IIRC... and then eventually, they agreed upon a name.

"Hiland."

:rolleyes:

Where's Amanda Plummer raving "execute them!!" when you need her?

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Martin Gundel @ Mar 10 2007, 04:11 AM) [snapback]403312[/snapback]</div>
    With my mother, my stepfather alternates the She Who etc (both of them being big fans of Rumpole, not Haggard) and Queen Kong. They've been married since '69, so I guess he gets to take SOME liberties!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(danoday @ Mar 10 2007, 11:36 AM) [snapback]403446[/snapback]</div>
    Above-mentioned stepfather was born in April 1939 and named Adolph, for his Italian father, Adolfo. When he (my stepfather, not stepgrandfather!) started school in 1944, they changed it to "Rudolph," for obvious reasons. Except that his Italian-born father and French-Canadian born mother (who continued to call him "Junior" until the day she died) never took any legal steps to do this. The only (semi-contemporaneous) documentation held now by Rudy that indicates how long he has been using the alternate name is stuff like 1st grade report card and communion certificate (is that what it's called?). When the time came a couple of years ago, it took him about a year to convince the Social Security Admin he's the same person, and not trying to scam anyone (well, not about his identity, anyway)...As dano says...Go figure...

Then there's my husband's eldest nephew, named Harley. Harley's mother's (DH's sister) maiden name is Davidson. At least one of Harley's Bar Mitzvah gift checks was made out to...yup...Harley Davidson Xxx--and it wasn't meant as a joke by them as did it!

7. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

everytime someone would ask my parents what they were going to name their kid when my mom was pregnant they would tell them "Hazel" just to get everyone to leave them alone. Apparently Hazel was a (bad) maid on a tv show in the 70-80's. People would scream about it. I'm thinking about following this rule when/if I have kids. I don't want everyone and their brother going ape sh*t over a name.

8. nicoss

nicoss New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(parrot_lady @ Mar 11 2007, 08:40 AM) [snapback]403770[/snapback]</div>

I Guess Britney & George are out on grounds of LBP (Limited Brain Power).

P.S. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prion :huh:

9. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    All time worst celebrity baby name goes to Rob Morrow. He named his kid Tu.

As in Tu Morrow.

For real. On purpose.

Nate

10. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I heard Picabo Street's parents wanted to name her brother Juan Way. :p

11. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grandma Judy @ Mar 21 2007, 04:13 PM) [snapback]409861[/snapback]</div>
    Reminds me of that old joke about Juan's long lost brother Amal being found and the boys' father refusing to go to their reunion, saying "Hey, if you've seen Juan, you've seen Amal."

MB

12. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Mar 21 2007, 06:21 PM) [snapback]409838[/snapback]</div>
    Dweezil and Moonunit Zappa.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Mar 21 2007, 09:54 PM) [snapback]409936[/snapback]</div>

TWIN brother.

14. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Someone whose name I ran across in the 1970 Lynchburg, Va. phone book (no, I wasn't recently reading it for pleasure; I lived there): last name "Snoddy".

Lovingly-bestowed first name? "Wealthy". Wealthy Snoddy.

(There are lots of sorta "aristocratic"-sounding names in the South, e.g., Hoddington J. Carter. Anyone hear of others?)

15. JamieS

JamieS New Member

[Old-ish topic, I know.]

At work I had a guy pay with a debit card named Charles Darwin. I should've gotten his autograph.

16. Screaming Red

Screaming Red Two Pri Wannabe

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Mar 9 2007, 05:43 PM) [snapback]402979[/snapback]</div>

17. Screaming Red

Screaming Red Two Pri Wannabe

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Lordy that is so funny.

In our children's class of 30 (grade 5) there are Sienna, Hayle, Elia, Alexa, Kobi, Cooper, Aiden,Tristan, Jayden moved, and my personal misfavorite, Chance.

When our trio were born in Denver in '95, there was another baby in the NICU, swear this is true, named SunSeaRain.

In Picabo Street's parent's semi-defence, she was named for a town near where she grew up in eastern Idaho.
    -From the World's Oldest Megan

18. fuelsipper

fuelsipper New Member

I heard this name last time I was in the Hood, for real...ya, i know it ain't pc..

LaTrene

19. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fuelsipper @ Apr 5 2007, 01:30 AM) [snapback]418050[/snapback]</div>
    Wth? You know that's just mean...

20. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fuelsipper @ Apr 5 2007, 01:30 AM) [snapback]418050[/snapback]</div>
    Or Loquisha, Latushia, Tyreece, Jonquilsha, densquia,

The worst is the last names "john & beverly scab", Billy Du mass, Micheal Hunt, deborah pee. carl smallsak, donna peniski.

Im sure they got picked on in school...