1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Banned" words

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tag, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Anyone notice that saying "if I would have done X", by usage, has almost achieved legitimacy with "if I had done X"?

Chalk on a blackboard.

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Dec 16 2006, 02:30 PM) [snapback]363167[/snapback]</div>
    Probably because most people say "I would have done X" instead of "I had done X".

3. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Dec 15 2006, 06:21 PM) [snapback]363006[/snapback]</div>
    No, but it's ignorant to advertise a word that Merriam-Webster posts as "non-standard." That means it falls into the category of "ain't." Almost anything can be a "word." Far fewer qualify for standard English. It depends on what you want to teach your kids. The French, damn their eyes!, have an official organization to legislate on this, the Alliance Française. We make do with good English teachers, like AuntBee. Pay attention to them.

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Dec 17 2006, 11:58 PM) [snapback]363644[/snapback]</div>
    Somehow, I don't think it would have been the same Broadway show if I would have seen "Are Not Misbehaving."

[​IMG]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Dec 17 2006, 11:58 PM) [snapback]363644[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, good point. :rolleyes:

Damn all those elementary school teacher who lead us wrong by allowing us to sing . . “The old gray mare, She ain't what she used to be Ain't what she used to be, Ain't what she used to be The old gray mare, She ain't what she used to be ...

Wow . . . for being liberal free thinkers, y'all seem to be acting quite conservative on this subject.
    Could it be :huh: . . . wanna-be :mellow: . . . liberal Ivy League College snobbism at work? :eek:

I'm happy to live in a richer, more diverse world of English language.

5. lbligh

lbligh Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    How about "I'm all about" to express enthusiasm for something? For example, we at Prius Chat might say, if we wished to be trendy, "I'm all about fuel economy" or "I'm all about global warming." Unless I am missing a nuance, "I'm all about" is synonymous with "I'm into," as in "I'm into Scrabble."

In our family we have a disturbing tendency to use such odious new expressions in a scornful manner, only to find them becoming habitual.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tag @ Dec 31 2003, 05:34 PM) [snapback]984[/snapback]</div>

6. jared2

jared2 New Member

"bottom line"
    "skill set"
    "operationalize"
    "ballpark estimate"
    "do lunch"

in fact, let's get rid of all psychobabble and business jargon. Then there would be nothing to express and no way to express it.

7. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How about Murse = Man Purse....

8. jared2

jared2 New Member

One of the very few ways men are smarter than women is that they refuse to carry a bag around all day. (Another is they refuse to wear uncomfortable shoes)

9. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    "make no mistake about it"

axed (asked. how did this ever become acceptable?)

"what's up" (particularly as a greeting)

"stay the course"

"thinking outside of the box"

"resolve"

"neat"

"it's different" (though when spoken it sounds like..."eeets deeefrnt")

"cut and run"

"nucular" (should be nuclear)

10. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lbligh @ Dec 18 2006, 06:42 AM) [snapback]363671[/snapback]</div>
    I'm all over that!

If any word, often pointedly, has more (and less!) meaning than "interesting" (as in, "Hmmm, yes, that is an interesting way of looking at it.)---it's:

CUTE!

11. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Dec 18 2006, 03:05 AM) [snapback]363654[/snapback]</div>
    Live in any world you want. Your poster makes my point. The faces in it, as well as Fats Waller, were Black. "Ain't Misbehavin' " is Black English, a perfectly valid dialect, but it isn't Standard English. I don't recall my English teacher teaching us "The Old Gray Mare," but I sure do remember her using a red marker whenever "ain't" popped into an essay. You want to live in a world of Black English speakers, then "ain't" is perfectly standard, as is "I be, you be, he bes." It has different rules. This isn't racist. Any book on Black English will explain its grammar.

I thought conservatives wanted to conserve things, like standards. I'm in California and teach in Orange County, the most conservative outpost in the state. Ivy League doesn't cut much ice out here. If I use "ain't" and "irregardless" in my lessons, even the Sons of John Birch, which is headquartered here, will roll their eyes. :rolleyes:

<_< :( :D :p :blink: , just to prove my point.

12. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Dec 18 2006, 08:53 AM) [snapback]363797[/snapback]</div>
    You got me there. When in Italy I noticed all the guys had shoulder bags to hold their junk and their back pocket didn't stick out a foot because of the bulging wallet. I got hooked. (But I never said I was very smart.)

13. jared2

jared2 New Member

That's odd. I didn't notice that last time I was in Rome.

Personally, I love walking but can't stand carrying things (except wallet and keys). I had enough of lugging books around at college to last me a lifetime. As for "junk", what would that be? Combs? Brushes? Make-up? Beats me!

14. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Dec 18 2006, 02:29 PM) [snapback]363874[/snapback]</div>
    I abandoned the wallet-in-the-back-pocket years ago at the suggestion of my chiropractor. And it's done a world of good for my back. You're shoulder story reminds me of an old Seinfeld episode.

15. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    "Neocon" (he uttered, ducking :eek: )

16. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Dec 18 2006, 11:37 AM) [snapback]363880[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I haven't been in Rome for a while so maybe the trend has changed.

"Junk:"

Money
    Credit Cards and club cards (Health club, Barnes & Noble, etc.)
    Small book to read while waiting
    Cell phone
    Comb
    Documents (driver's license, medical, etc.)
    Keys for school and Prius fob
    Tiny calculator which I use a lot
    Check book
    Pen
    Glasses
    Fingernail clipper (for sudden broken nail)
    Business cards
    Altoids

No makeup. I know I can do without a few of these things but why? And, instead of packing my pants everytime I go out, I just grab my bag.

I guess I could get my wife to carry this for me but she is liberated.

17. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I also have a Man Bag. I do not refer to it as a murse. It's a Man Bag. Occassionally a Man Purse, but never a murse.

In fact on a couple of occassions, I have threatened calling the BBB and my lawyer over stores that would not let me carry a bag into a store for fear of theft. I spoke with the managers of these stores and told them that I was being discriminated against. Either they needed to let me in with my bag, or they need to not let any woman with a purse. My bag is smaller than most women's purses. One of the stores no longer has my business.

Yay for man bags!

As to the thread, we should do away with the word "Murse". It just sounds dumb, IMO.

18. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Dec 18 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]363902[/snapback]</div>
    I've never heard that word before and agree with you. Once, coming out of Comp USA the door guard asked me if he could look inside my bag. I told him "No" and he said, "Well, OK." I told him he didn't ask to see the inside of the bags of the two women ahead of me. I don't seem to have a big problem figuring out if I am masculine or feminine and the word purse works for me. My wife winces though!

The Prius works well with this system. If I get in the car and it starts it means I haven't left my bag behind because the fob is in it. I wouldn't have this safeguard with a wallet.

19. Jmad1138

Jmad1138 New Member

Butthat. I hear it everyday and I'm sick and tired of it.

20. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Man Purse, Murse, man bag, I love it!!! I have to carry a briefcase, so I get to keep the glasses case, wallet, eye drops, etc. in there and just call it a brief case. Murse........ Great!! never heard that before!! :lol: :lol: