1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bar’s leak engine repair

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mola, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Mola

Mola Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anybody tried to use bar’s leak engine repair or the valve stem seal leak. My problem seems to be a leak on valve stem seal, when i cleaned the manifold, i saw an oil stain line to atleast two of the intake valves.

Changing the PCV did not stop my oil use.

2. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This stuff works really well at swelling/sealing leaks with rubber main seals and valve seals. It's worth a shot. Worn valve guides could create tears or cracks in the seals and will need to be replaced. How many miles on your prius?

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 10.58.24 PM.png

SFO likes this.
  3. Mola

Mola Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    140,+++. I wonder how easy to do valve seal diy. Atp-205, have you used it? Thanks

4. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a main seal leak on my ridgeline and it fixed the leak. 55k miles and counting, I saved 1500$ from the honda dealer pulling my subframe and trans to repair it. I am still :):)

Your valve seals will require you to remove valve cover, timing chain cover, camshaft housing, camshafts and spark plugs. Apply compressed air into cylinder via spark plugs and use a valve spring removal tool to take springs and retainers out. Or pull the head off. Either way this job is not really the diyer. Are you sure the the oil stain is not coming from your pcv/egr system? It tends to coat the intake ports and valves with oil and carbon deposits and then cakes on. Other cars have walnut shell blasting for 600$ to clean this out. An occ (oil catch can) will help keeping this area clean from oil mist via pcv valve. Your pcv hose was probably coated in oil.

Here is a pic of what di (direct injection) valves look like because oil coming from the pcv and egr system gets them dirty. Imagine what the piston and exhaust valves look like. Port injection (prius) will be cleaner from fuel spraying on the valves.
    Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 4.01.47 PM.png

#4 danlatu, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  5. Mola

Mola Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The oil stain comes from top to bottom, from where the piston stem is piercing. still confirming how much oil used per mile my engine is using.

Found an amazon review of atp-205, fix the leak but had more serious problem came out. Now i am thinking hard if i will do the atp-205.

"Three weeks later I was headed to the grocery store on my way home from work and the oil light comes on. Not an intermittent light like when the oil is really low but full-time on. Normally for such an event I would have it towed to a repair shop to avoid any damage to the engine, but I chose to complete my trip and gently drive home (about 5 miles). I started driving my truck to work while I put my best shade-tree mechanic skills to work, changing the oil pressure sending unit and other minor checks I found on Google. No joy, so I had it towed to my local non-dealer Toyota repair shop for a diagnostic. It truly had zero oil pressure, so they dropped the oil pan to check the pump. It turns out the pickup screen was COMPLETELY clogged with paint from the inner lining of the oil pan! (Minor rant to Toyota: what on earth possessed you to put paint on an engine part? Every other oil pan I have ever seen is bare or zinc-plated.) Six hundred dollars later I was back in running order, although they could not guarantee there wasn't some bearing damage.

Seeing as how Re-Seal is designed to react with rubber seals and paint shares some chemical characteristics with rubber I am assuming that it reacted with the paint in the oil pan enough to loosen it. This would not have occurred had I not just dumped the Re-Seal in and let it sit without running the engine a while. I take most of the blame on myself for not following the directions to the letter, with a slice of blame (or is that shame) for Toyota and their careless product design."

Since the prius also have a pained oil pan, I don't want to risk it.

BTW, how long did you let the ATP 205 in the engine? for the whole oil life til oil change? or just for 15 - 20 minutes then drain?

SFO, RMB and danlatu like this.
  6. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For the full oil change. My ridgeline's oil pan is aluminum. I am not sure is valvoline high mileage motor oil has a modifier like atp re-seal. I was unaware of this problem and have used on two cars in the past with zero issues. I am curious if this person put atp re-seal in without following the directions?
    Good find, I will look into it.

SFO likes this.