1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Barnaby Joyce rejects petrol car sales ban amid Coalition debate on electric vehicles

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bauhaus, Jan 25, 2018.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hill- that picture is a photo of poor coal combustion waste practices, but Japan is not planning to do combustion, and they are probably not going to mismanage the waste

RCO likes this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    i don't know 1 way or the other - but articles state japan's plans are to do the coal reforming/hydrogen while still in Australia - so whether or not good (expensive) environmental practices are incorporated - most likely it'll be up to the aussies ... not sure how well (or not) aussies deal
    w/ their coal ash.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Japan and Toyota's management of it means leaving it in Australia, and they are willing to pay more to ship just the hydrogen for this.

Gasification to hydrogen and burning that will reduce pollutants from combustion, but the sulfur, mercury, and other elements in the coal that make up fly ash don't just disappear. It also still produces CO2 that needs to be addressed.

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I live in a county (Lee in NC) that is accepting coal ash from power plants hundreds of miles away. Why here? Politics. Litigation? Yes. Thousands of trucks driving the streets and highways. Heavily laden. Slow. Dangerous on the road. Poorly covered. Don't get in their slipstream.

Can the county government do anything about it? No. The gerrymandered state legislature has seen to that.

They will dump into an unused mine using a mining permit. Will they sell anything from that mine or move it offsite? No. So the litigation is over whether it is a mine or a dump.

Will the state monitor effectively? No. The departments involved are either led by pro-mining people or have had their budgets drastically cut.

Why does it need to be moved? Years of neglect where it is. Spills during big rains. Groundwater contamination.

RCO likes this.
  5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds odd - we can't buy Hydrogen here (TOYOTA brought a couple of MIRAI here to show-off, but only had a limited towed source of Hydrogen - only one outlet in Canberra they said.

But - I can't imagine that Hydrogen isn't the easiest commodity to transport over the high seas - I have visions of Hindenburg (no, I'm not that old!!).

padroo and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No its not, but it let's Japan keep the carbon emissions for making the hydrogen out of their totals.

hill and alanclarkeau like this.
  7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gasification is fundamentally cleaner technology than burning of coal, at significant expense. So the contaminants are handled more effectively (eg; elemental sulfur recovered as a useful product and not as a scrubber sludge).

I agree that gasification and H2 transport from Australia seems to be an unlikely short term scenario, except maybe on a limited trial basis.

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Plan being addressed here is using lignite, which is just a step above peat in the scale of coal quality. Though maybe its high water content makes it better for reformation.

"Called the Kawasaki Hydrogen Road, the plan is to produce hydrogen from mined brown coal and send it to Japan in custom-made ships."
    - Japanese to use Latrobe brown coal to produce green hydrogen | Global Carbon Capture and Storage Institute

The bolded part makes this more than a limited trial basis. Now, they will be sequestering the CO2, which may be more difficult to do in Japan if there isn't access to the right geological formations. The efforts taken will make this green hydrogen expensive in Japan, and likely would not be viable for other markets.

The hydrogen will also be used for power generation in Japan. Though I wonder how the costs would compare to capturing the CO2 from the existing NG plant, and shipping it to Australia if need be.
    Kawasaki Industries Wants to Make Dirty Lignite Coal Useful and Clean | AIChE

9. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is another proposal floating around "Hydrogen can serve as an “energy vector” to transport solar photovoltaic energy from the Pilbara to the fuel tank of a hydrogen-powered car on the streets of Tokyo" - that was mid-last year.

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's electrolysis powered by PV. Factoring in the energy to compress to hydrogen for the car, you get far more distance simply charging a plug in with that PV energy.

I am not against FCEV's, just hydrogen. Get them powered by a liquid fuel, and they could be a replacement for the ICE in a range extended plug in.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the intent is to have SOLAR / WIND farms here in Australia, produce Hydrogen by, I assume electrolysis, and ship it to Japan.

I've got PV on my roof which, if I had a PHEV or EV, I'd just charge direct from the PV.

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That is inefficient in terms of energy, but Japan may not have the required space for the necessary solar and wind.

Producing hydrogen with electrolysis is an option for storing renewing electric produced during peak production. It can then be burned, with or without NG, in a turbine later, or even in a fuel cell. We could also make methane or oil with the excess renewables.

Hydrogen for cars just has many hurdles to make it feasible in much of the world. It might work for Japan, but Toyota and Honda are pushing it hard elsewhere as a means to make it cheaper for Japan.

13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    30d792303c1d8214f8fde8f4607c4241.jpg Oh. Barnaby JOYCE. Never mind.
    [​IMG]

Prodigyplace likes this.