1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bartlett Corporation Leather on Ebay - $150!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by sl7vk, Apr 24, 2009.

1. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just went to the home cheapo and bought some geared workforce cutting pliers.... $14 if I recall. Life saver.

2. tredstone

tredstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!

How many man hours do you think was spent?

And for everyone else who DIY'd the covers, how many man hours did it take you?

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's the one I got from my local Ace Hardware for $10. Mine is red though.

Sorry about the late reply. I was installing Infinity Reference 6020CS in the front.

I still have yet to complete the small area between rear seats and the doors.

5. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought heavy-duty compound-leverage cutters from Sears ($35). I needed a set anyway.

Probably 12 hours total for my install (6 for the back seat and 6 for the front seat and the filler pannels in the back). I did not do the center console or arm rests and have no plan to do so. Oh, and NO broken clips (the filler panels require cutting back the heat-melted pins and collapsing the three clips - it appears the clips by themselves will hold everything together, but it would be possible to epoxy the pins back in).

Good choice on the Infinity's!

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty quick.

Do those 12 hours include the hours of your son-in-law and other helpers (if any)?

7. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Alone, I'd count on 20-22 hours.
    I think that's where I fell....

8. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So as I'm driving to the carwash to clean my "new" car.... I roll down the window, deposit my token.... and notice that the auto feature, up and down on the window is no longer working.

I go home unclip the panel in question (all the while cursing, wondering if the auto will ever work again), unclip the wires, reconnect, turn the car on.... and it still isn't working... In fact, there is a light on the auto button that is flashing.... So I say #$@ this, I'll get you guys to help out... a reconnect the panel, and just for shits and giggles I try it again.... and this time, the auto feature is working flawlessly......

I'm scratching my head a bit on this one.....

9. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    24 person-hours (those 12 hours were for 2 people full time). Having 2 people really helps in many areas of the install.

I found that you have to fully cycle the window 3 times and then it "re-learns" how to auto-up and auto-down. I will also have to turn the back-up beep off again, and had to re-program all my station pre-sets.

10. jeteyenite

jeteyenite Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I did not do any of the window arm rests nor rear sides... maybe next week...
    It took me about 15 hours to mine w/o anyone's help.. :(
    Oh, I also installed the seat heaters too... :)

I've also noticed that the driver seat is now way more comfortable than before...
    Could it be the extra padding the leater kit?
    Has anyone else notice that too?

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!

I think the tautness of the leather/vinyl contributes a lot to people's feeling that it improves the comfort of the seat.

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I put in 20 hours for all the seats and headrests. I have not done the small area between the door and the seat in the rear.

The Auto window button will be flashing until you manually pull the window all the way up and then down. It will then remember the the ends will the flashing will go away.

There is an extra layer padding about 1/4 inch under the leather. The fabric that I removed did not have this layer. It makes the seats more comfortable. :) The ventilation holes with the padding removes the body heat better than the micro-fiber. I have yet try it in the summer heat. My lower back used to sweat with the micro-fiber.

13. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, Boo. leather has less give than the cloth, contributing to a more firm feel. Plus the light foam on the back gives a nice initial soft feel - so you get soft but firm support. I really like the difference! It reminds me of our space foam matress with a down matress pad.

Good luck on those panels. I had trouble getting the vinyl (leather? not sure because it's backed) to conform to the "tongue" on the top of the one that does not have the vent. As for the cloth being hot, I fully agree. This was one of my prime reasons I had to want to convert to leather. I had been considering Wet Okole seat covers, but at $600 for the entire car I am much happier with my $150 leather job! And my finger is healing up nicely! :D

14. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I lift a beer to all of you that underwent this ordeal with me tonight!
    What a great challenge, and process. Well done to all!

15. tredstone

tredstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The seats have drawn first blood today! Now it's really on... :mad:

1 person likes this.
  16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's expected. :D Mine is 85% healed.

17. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh man, were you gloveless or did something cut through the protective gloves you were wearing? Hang in there, you'll win. You'll be bloodied, but a winner.

In related news, I just got back from my sunroof installer on Long Island. He says that Bartlett Corporation is out of business. But he said that he would sell and install leather covers (presumably Katzkins because we had just finished talking about Katzkins) for $995 plus tax.

I turned him down because I'm not made out of this [imglink]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3414/3301024538_dc5de816fc_t.jpg[/imglink], and didn't want to pay for a sunroof and leather at the same time. He said he understood, and that he'd give me the same deal if and when I decide to get leather.

18. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If true, maybe we'll see the rest of their stock being liquidated on Ebay. I'd love to get a leather interior for my daughter's Corolla!

19. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Those minor wrinkles will be gone within a month of the install if the car is left out in the sun a few times.

20. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Are these kits still available for that price? I see them on ebay for $250. For $150, I'd buy and bank it for when I need to redo the leather in 3 or 4 years.