1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bartlett Corporation Leather on Ebay - $150!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by sl7vk, Apr 24, 2009.

1. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: Bartlett Corporation Leather on Ebay-

What you just described was me, plus a beer in my hand. Maybe that helped mitigate some of my frustration.....:rolleyes:

2. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Looks great so far!

Out of curiosity.... why not just stick with the zip ties at this point?

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I thought the PDF showed four screws in the back facing the rear cupholders, securing the cover/lid hinge, that you unscrew to remove the cover/lid and hinge.

EDIT: I also thought I removed just the top cover once when I was installing my PriusHoods leather center console cover. But I don't remember exactly how I did it.

In any event, CharlesJ reupholstered his center console and armrest covers. Here's his photo album: PriusChat Forums - CharlesJ's Album: Center console cover job - Picture

Maybe PM him?

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I found a few zip ties that would not lock. After tightening them, they would slip back out. I had to redo them and because of that I don't trust them. Maybe the zip ties that I got were not good quality but that's all they had at the convenience store at 8:30pm.

I don't know how long the plastic zip ties will last as they age. Since the factory seats came with metal hog rings, I plan on sticking with them. There may be a reason unknown to us.

I want to do this once, correctly. I don't want to redo them 3-5 years later.

5. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

My personal opinion is that the reason the car comes with hog rings, is that they are faster than zip ties. No having to bore a hole etc.... Faster once you get good at them that is.

I'm going to use Military grade 75 pound UV resistant ties. But hog rings certainly work too!

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

That will remove the the cover along with the hinge. However, the fabric covered area is only the top section of it. We are trying to remove it from the cover.

Priushood leather go over the entire cover warping around it. It then use Velcro at the bottom to hold it into place.

I found a picture (in CharlesJ album) of the bottom of the cover top layer. It does not look like the replacement piece that came with the kit. I think it may be designed to go over the stock cover.

[​IMG]

7. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Nice work! It looks like it is going down smooth with no wrinkles. I was thinking about starting in the middle and working out, or doing both ends and working toward the middle. Does it look like it will matter? It doesn't seem to be building up a "bow wave" of slack, so it might not matter.

I also note that the stitching and seams are very straight, indicating a good quality kit.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

It doesn't matter because I match the "under stitch extras" to line up with the "dips" in the foam. The foam is my guideline.

I take back the thin leather comment. The fake leather on the sides are thin but the real leather has a good thickness to it. With the padding layer underneath, the seats feels really comfortable.

The measurement of the pieces are right on. I am really impress with the quality and the kit is a steal for the price.

9. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Understood. it's going to fit however it fits based on the shaping of the foam and the cover.

That 3000GT install I posted a link to had a comment that the new leather firms up the seats. That's one aspect of this I'm looking forward to. I like a leather interior because it doesn't give as much as the cloth and is, therefore, more supportive. I'm glad to hear it's comfortable - that's what I would expect!

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can't find the smaller size hog ring around here. For reference, the smaller size is the pig size. It goes like this from smallest to largest. Pig -> Shoat -> Hog. The upholstery store I contacted close at 5 pm and I won't be able to make it.

I found a pack of 650 zip ties in various sizes for $5.95 so I bought it. It said for use in Automotive as well. I am going with the zip ties all the way. I invested in a pair of hog ring pliers but oh well.

11. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks like Sears has a number of hog ring pliers (one is gear drive and costs about $200 :eek: but most are less than $50 for what I consider "real" tools) and hog rings in bags. I plan to check the local Sears to see if they have them, or if another store in our metro does. Since there are hundreds of the buggers in the car, I want a good plier that is easy on my hands and a high-mechanical-advantage sidecutter to cut the existing rings. On line I have found hog ring tools that feed (thus the hog rings that are bunched together like staples) and even air drive hog ring tools for professional use. I might check into the manual tool that feeds the rings - this is a big enough job, and we got the leather for such a cheap price that it might warrant getting good tools, even if I never do this again. The price will still be hundreds under having it done.

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks! For some reason, I did not think of looking for hog rings in Sears. I will check it out there.

13. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to share! If you've seen Sears catalogs from the late 19th or early 20th century, they were the savior of the farmer and rancher. Lots of great farm stuff. They even sold houses in pre-cut kits, cars, and, I believe, even livestock. In the 1960's when I was growing up in Oklahoma ranching country they still sold lots of farm and ranch stuff, and scooters and motorcycles! My first scooter was a used Sears Compact built by Puch in Germany. So I still think of them as the place for ranch supplies (although they're not really as much so any more). I may be a suave urbanite these days, but I'm still a redneck rancher at heart (although a VERY liberal one compared to the good-old-boys back home! :yo:

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just called 5 Sears stores and they don't have it. They had no clue what a hog ring is. I got "What?" or "What is hog ring?". I had to spell it out or describe what it is for. Grrr... It looks like I am going to have to use zip ties... I will see what I can find before getting home.

I should have ordered it online last week with the tool. So, that is my suggestion to those planning to install next week. Order hog rings online ASAP!

15. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're definitely on the Sears web site, but you're experience is probably typical of a store in an urban environment. I don't know if the Super Sears north of Denver will have them or not. I'll check for my own use. Luckily this is Horse Country and there are numerous ranch stores within 35 miles of home for me to investigate (hog rings are common in building fences - I grew up around ranches and have to admit I have NO IDEA what you use them for on a hog! :noidea:

16. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    usbseawolf,

For hog rings, maybe check the Yellow Pages and Google for upholstery supplies in New York City?

Here are the results of my Google search of "upholstery supplies new york city"

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?q=upholstery+supplies+new+york+city&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a]upholstery supplies new york city - Google Search[/ame]

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There available at sail / rigging supply places here in So Cal too ... as well as on line stores.

18. Ed Marquis

Ed Marquis New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Zip ties do get brittle with age. I've used them for years for wiring harnesses. I definitely would not use them for upholstery except for on a temporary basis.

19. tredstone

tredstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What tools do I need to do just the backseats? I figure I'll start with those. The frontseats look like they require a whole bench of tools (based on that youtube video posted earlier).

20. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i would definitely get the hog rings. i rather do it right the 1st time than having to do it again.