1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Base Stereo vs. JBL Stereo

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by The Critic, Jun 4, 2009.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For those of you who have sampled both the base stereo (found in the Prius II) and the upgraded JBL stereo, how do the two compare?

Is the JBL stereo worth the extra $1000? Are the differences between the two significant or are they minimal?

I am not interested in bluetooth, so that isn't a consideration for me.

Thanks!

2. sferris

sferris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interested in this as well..

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be interested to hear the comparison also. My 09 JBL gets crackin' fairly well on the open highway. It is pretty clear and strong at higher volumes, although not up to audiophile standards. No subwoofer, but there is some base presence. Doubt Gen3 has a sub either.

I tried base audio sytems a lot in both a 2009 Matrix and Rav4, and they were weak. They just couldn't cut through at highway speeds, lacked clarity, and distorted at higher volumes.

I wanted JBL because I couldn't see having the door panels and carpets pulled up / off of a new car for a 3rd party job. Just me. (Toyota does not add JBL after factory).

Little off topic but hope that helps.

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    w/o having the base audio to compare to, the Gen 3's soundstage is much improved, as well as bass response. The size of the sub "required" to fill the bass the 6x9's miss is probably not worth installing if you care about cargo space. The 2" squawkers do a pretty nice job w/ the upper-mids and highs as well and really bring the sound stage up to the windshield level vs. down at the door level.

5. sferris

sferris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    wonder how the base stereo compares..

6. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If this is any help, to my ears the 2010 JBL stereo is a big improvement over the 2006 JBL unit. I'm not an audiophile, but the 2010 seems to have a clearer radio signal and a stronger bass all-around.

7. Spartane

Spartane Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just about started a post on this last night for more details on this, but I couldn't decide what to ask.

I believe the JBL stereo has a CD changer; does it occupy the same form factor as the base stereo, or is the CD changer part separate?

Are there any pictures with the radio turned on so we can see the display, or any detailed specs on the radio?

Does JBL have a page that describes it?

8. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I asked the CD changer question yesterday of my sales guy and I was told that the 6 CDs are inserted through the dash. There is no external storage unit for the 6 CDs as some earlier CD changer models had (in general, not Prius). I'm not that interested in a CD changer, and I didn't want give up any space to an external CD changer in the center console or trunk area. BTW, I'm also interested in the same question posed here as I'm interested in a pkg II or III and may have one or the other, or a choice, coming in the next few weeks.

9. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Couldn't find anything on it... lots of people are interested in this comparison due to the expressive price tag differences between II and III...

I personally don't listen much to CDs anymore, so having the ability to load 6 CDs in the dashboard (Prius III) is pretty useless for me, just 1 CD like in the Prius II is enough. Most of the time, I listen to satellite radio or my IPod, which are both possible with the Prius II. Bluetooth is not a big deal for me because I will use the car mostly for hwy drive and I found the road noise on the hwy somewhat disturbing during my test drive... I doubt the noise would allow me to carry on a decent phone conversation in the hwy…

10. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct -all changers are in the dash. NAV versions JBL's have 4 discs, non-NAV JBL's versions have 6.

I've found road noise to be rather non-intrusive for a phone conversation via Bluetooth. What's more intrusive is the A/C running on high. Eco mode helps tone that down a bit tho ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be kind of nice to have the climate control automatically back down to "Medium fan speed" when a bluetooth call is made ... just one nice little improvement that would be much appreciated :)

12. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Guess you could manually turn it down... I've done that in worst case, but even at high, it's not terribly hard to hear unless the far-end has a bad connection. For most of us, we're having to up the mic volume gain though in the service menu to be audible.

13. sferris

sferris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    can anyone offer impressions on the base stereo?

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can offer an opinion on the iconic (G2) base stereo, which is crap, but haven't had the opportunity to crank up the G3 yet. The upgraded JBL unit was not wonderful, either, and certainly not worth the difference in price. I'm sure you'd get far better sound quality from an aftermarket system.

15. Argyle

Argyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It would kind of nice if the CD changer dispensed money like an ATM when you enter your PIN on the radio buttons. :D

Hey, if you are going to dream, dream big.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All you'd need is a satellite link, a card reader, and a cash card. A tad pricey for your car, maybe, but not difficult. :)

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    6 speakers and most likely no separate amplifier ....

probably lack full sound and clarity, especially at higher volumes.

Doubt most with II will want to confirm this, but the Gen2 pack2 fit description.

18. Can'tWait

Can'tWait Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ofcourse it is a personal choice...

As for me, I just ordered a II. It already has 6 speakers, I felt that is enough for such a small car..I think I can pop in one CD at a time; so the 6 CD option is not a big deal...as for bluetooth, it is not a priority...I felt 1K extra for these is little too much.

19. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not only that. Prius 3 is Satellite radio ready with 3 months free subscrition, Prius 2 is sat radio compatible, meaning the dealer will charge you extra $500 to make it ready and no free subscription.

20. dmhorn28

dmhorn28 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I too have nothing to add about the base stereo. But the JBLs speakers are unfortunately set right next to the windshield and rattle the rearview mirror.

Bluetooth, however, worked well at 65mph with air on.