1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Base System Stereo Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Sunfire4jc, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Sunfire4jc

Sunfire4jc New Member

Hello All,

I had a shop redo my stereo system, They replaced the speakers and added an amp. Now I notice a bit of "white noise" when the volume is real low when i'm playing CDs, but I don't notice this when i'm playing the radio. They had to use "hi-lo converters" during the process.

I was wondering if this is normal? Let me know. Thanks!

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sunfire4jc @ Dec 5 2006, 05:30 PM) [snapback]358153[/snapback]</div>
    It's hard to say if this is normal, since I can't hear it over the internet, but if the upgrade sounds worse than the stock system did at similar volume levels, then I'd say, no, this isn't normal. Maybe a ground loop between the amp and the hi-lo converters, or the converters and the head unit?

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Could be a grounding issue or maybe the gain settings on the amp are a tad high.

4. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it doesn't change \/\/ith engine RPMs, it's a gain issue; I don't seek to offend but it sounds like they did a slightly cheapo job, tapping into speaker-level outputs.

Then again, if your car is a 2006 or ne\/\/er then they had no choice; the signals are all digital at every location I found other than the speaker-level outputs from the amp under the passenger seat...

I find the stock JBL system has all the features I \/\/ant except a dedicated bass output for my sub. Tap into the lo\/\/er front speakers, though, and the total sound output is not affected; then bring the speaker-level sound into a separate, dedicated sub amplifier hooked up to only your subs and you'll have crystal clear sound from all sources.