1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Basic Audio Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by aproy1939, Aug 19, 2006.

1. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Aug 20 2006, 11:57 PM) [snapback]306597[/snapback]</div>
    Here is a link to some of the work this guy has done before. He's very active in the Passat community. At the rate he's going, I'm not sure he has the time to make me a box for my Prius. I may end up making it myself.

Sub Enclosures

Ok, I am a moron. BC was package #9 in 2004 but package #6 in 2005. My excuse for getting this mixed up is that we've got a Super White 2004 pkg #9 and a Driftwood Pearl 2005 pkg #6.

2. Anubis

Anubis New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tonyroy @ Aug 31 2006, 10:04 PM) [snapback]312573[/snapback]</div>
    Glad you're getting what you want! How much money are you saving (over Car Concept's $2K install charge)? How much is your install going to be (sans the purchase of different speakers & Clean Sweep, and then with the speakers & Clean Sweep purchase)? And it's going tp take them until Tuesday? Why so long? Oh yeah, it's the Labor Day weekend. Had you dropped your car off during the week, how long would it take them to finish your car?

Let me know the final cost -- I'm seriously considering going in to get my system upgraded as well.

Congrats on your new install! I'll bet you're almost as excited as when you bought your Prius itself!

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Time wise, i'd say it takes two fairly knowledgable people anywhere from a few hours to most of a day to do a car properly (based on the 10 or so installs i've worked on in the past 7 years). Of course, this all depends on the model of the car, and how easy it comes apart :-p.

That being said, you've also got to take into account all the other business they've got. Very seldom will you see a company like this give you a straight window, or even say it'll only take a day... they need to build in a little buffer time incase they run into problems. Additionally, they'll have multiple cars waiting in line to work on when/if they run into a problem and have to wait a day for a part to be delivered.

For cost, take a look at www.crutchfield.com to price the component prices... Then add the labor (i'd say 50% of the component cost would be a safe bet) and you'll be near the mark (probably a bit over, but i'd rather estimate over rather than under).

FWIW, you can find enough information and guides on the site here to be able to do it all yourself and save the install cost (assuming you're at all inclined to do so), and it feels a lot better when it's all done and you can point proudly and say "i did that".

4. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tonyroy @ Sep 1 2006, 12:04 AM) [snapback]312573[/snapback]</div>
    Great Tony!
    I am looking at the Clean Sweep also - were you the guy that read one of my posts about it? There are also similar products from Rockford and Alpine.
    I have an Xtant 3 channel and am also looking at Diamond compnents for the front. You have any input on the Hex line versus the mid priced ones - M series I think. Not D - they are mondo money.
    Are you doing any sound dampening?

I am dying to get this done - but I am OC and it has to be perfect. Plus I am cheap (or afraid of my wife) so I am assembling parts and then looking for an installer.

Can't wait to hear how pumped you are when you get it back.

Terry

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, I'm glad you found a shop that actually knows something. I nearly wet myself when I read your first post. $2000 for a custom battery AND you need a custom alternator...? :rolleyes:

Anyway, here is what I'm doing to my Prius. I decided to get the JL ZR Evolution series front and rear. THey should fit with no problem. THere is enough depth in the doors. I'm waiting for my delaer to get the CLeansweep SSI to sum the front channels together. THen the signal is going to the Celansweep dsp-441 to flatten out the JBL factory equalizing. Then it goes to a JL Audio 300/4 for the front/rear, and a 250/1 for the JL sub. Not sure if I'm going to use the 8W7 or th 10W3 yet...

I'll get pics posted as soon as it's done. THe SSI has just been released, so hopefully soon it will be installed.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Doc, does the shop you are going to have Diamond Audio or Focal? If so please check out those for mids and highs before you are set on the JLs. I sold all 3 and IMO the Diamonds sounded the best but obviously "good sound" is very subjective. I also prefered the Diamond (D6 and D9) and Eclipse (aluminum series) over the basic JLs but the W6v2 and W7s sound nice if not tight. They play low bass rather loud though if you like that.

7. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 5 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]314559[/snapback]</div>
    They don't carry Focal, but I have listened to all the above. I just like JL. As far as the subs are concerned, I'm all about quality over quantity, so going low accurately is important. The W7 is a phenomenal sub, and plays loud way, way down.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Sep 5 2006, 06:24 PM) [snapback]314889[/snapback]</div>
    OK good. Just making sure you sampled the others. The JL subs hit low but they are not the most musical. One of the guys at the shop has a great ear and 2 of em are IASCA judges and do the nationals and one switched out of the W7s and to the Diamonds. The other is a basshead and still uses 2 13w7s LOL

10. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The W7s are more of a competition piece that has great SPL. I have been told that the W6s are more on the SQ side of things. The W6 is frickin' great, though. Completely annihilates my old Infinity Kappa in both SPL and SQ. It hits the lows really nice.

11. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Aug 20 2006, 06:16 PM) [snapback]306387[/snapback]</div>
    Have you made room for a 1F or larger cap yet? That should take care of the light dimming, and will ease the stress on the tiny stock battery.

12. aproy1939

aproy1939 New Member

Sorry for my delayed reply. I got my Prius from Audio Xtreme and then went on little vacation. I leave for CA for a week beginning tomorrow, but I'll post some pics upon my return.

The entire install on the car took one day. I left it there for Labor Day weekend since I was going out of town.

When I picked it up the first thing I noticed was that everyone who worked there was jazzed about putting a system in the Prius. For a shop where most people drive SUVs or slammed Civics, it was cool to see them getting excited about the Prius.

First of all, I love the sound. I had the same amp and subs in my WRX, but I was running Boston Acoustics 6.5" speakers all the way around. I have to say the Diamond Hexs are definitely a step up (and they dropped into the factory locations no problem). Truth be told I can't even turn it up all the way. The CleanSweep definitely makes a difference in the sound. It almost seems like a completely different head unit.

Audio Xtreme put Dynamat in the front and rear doors. I've never had Dynamat, so I have to attribute that to some of the great sound I'm getting.

The coolest thing the installers did was add two knobs in the blank spaces on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Since I'm running the CleanSweep the installers tuned the sound to a level "48" on the factory head unit. According to JL you are supposed to set it at 20% less than the max on a factory headunit. That said, the installers and myself did not notice any degradation when the factory setting is pushed to "60". The first knob they installed controls the volume, the second knob controls the bass. Very nice since I like to play rock, hip-hop, industrial and acoustic sets.

As far as costs go, I'll have to look for the breakdown. I'll report back on a second post. Seems like it was a $2,500 total savings over the Salt Lake shop.