1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Basic code scanner?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cdgreg, May 29, 2017.

1. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm enjoying beginning DIY car maintenance on my '07 Prius and my wife's '09 Rav4. What do you all recommend as a basic code scanner reader that can also clear codes? I definitely do not need anything overly fancy, my goal is to be able to pull codes as they arise to then come on here/google to search and define the issue.

There seems to be a range of options even within the cheap sector: $6 ELM327 OBD2 Bluetooth scanner on ebay, Mini VCI for $25 on Amazon, $70 Harbor Freight Deluxe OBDII Scan Tool Cen-Tech, and the $160 Scanguage II OBD + Digital Gauges kit offered here on Priuschat.

Really just looking for something to identify code(s) and clear them. What do you recommend and what should I avoid?

2. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Try Carista. I've used it for modifying settings on my Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=carista&sprefix=carist%2Caps%2C135&crid=35RGCC8X8T3Y0