1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Basic upgrade question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by firemechanic, Apr 9, 2012.

1. firemechanic

firemechanic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm looking to upgrade my stereo a bit. I'm rockin the stock NON_JBL crap right now:rockon: I have narrowed down a few pieces but need a little advice on others.

Front speakers JL Audio c2-690x 6x9 3-way
    Rear speakers JL Audio c2-650x 6.5" coaxial

Kenwood KDC-BT852HD Single din head unit (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels) Also gives me bluetooth for my phone and HD radio

Alpine MRP-F300 Per channel into 4 ohms: 50W x 4

My biggest question is...... Do I really need the amp? Does the head unit have more than enough power for the speakers or should I install the amp to get the best sound. Not looking to entertain people two lanes away with their windows up but would like to hear clear sound in my car with the windows down on the freeway.

Thanks for any advice!

2. kyle5434

kyle5434 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For now I just ended up adding a Kenwood powered sub under the passenger seat, and that helped the overall sound quite a bit. It doesn't sound as good as the Kenwood head unit + amps in my former vehicle, but it's OK for now. I may end up putting in something better after I've saved up some money.