1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Batteries and Bus Bars

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GuamKelly, Jul 13, 2021.

1. GuamKelly

GuamKelly Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    --- Sorry for the duplicate, I first posted this incorrectly to the Gen 3 page. Likely the same info, though!

OK, I had a run of Bad Car Karma. First the battery went out on my wife's Prius V (immediately after the warranty expired and the dealer was no help, but of course). I ordered and installed a battery from Greentec Auto, all new cells, plugged right in, runs good as new.

Then the battery went out on my son's 2008 Gen 2, with 138,000 miles. The car isn't really worth the couple thousand dollars a new battery would cost, so I pulled the old one to have a look-see. I don't have any fancy diagnostic gear, but was startled to find all the cells were at 7.5 volts or slightly better (range 7.52 to 7.57), BUT all the Bus Bars and the connector for one side of the 240 volt line were badly corroded. Could that alone cause a Red Triangle of Death?

I have ordered new Bus Bars and nuts, and will use baking soda and vinegar to clean that connector. When I put it back in, do I need to face Mecca while saying my prayers? Moreover, is there any way to check the capacity of the cells while I have it out?

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What do you mean, by his battery "went out"? What codes did you get from the battery ecu? Unless there is corrosion damage to the battery voltage sense harness or the orange connector at the battery ecu, then you likely have a faulty module. You can do a load test on each module (record the starting voltage, apply a load such as a H4 halogen bulb- or two, for two minutes exactly, then record the end voltage just before removing the load). If a module is really bad it might show up, but 5-10 amps from a headlight bulb or two is much less than what the car normally uses.

A better method is to use a scantool (such as Techstream) or a OBD2 bluetooth adapter with Dr Prius or Hybrid Assistant app to monitor all the battery block voltages while driving the car. High amperage charging and discharging from aggressive driving will "flush out" weak modules. Up to 160A on heavy accel and 90-100A regen.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Since it seems you've already disassembled the battery, you should also test for ground faults. There is a small threaded steel insert that is pressed into the bottom of each module that allows the module to be fastened to the baseplate. Often, the plastic module will develop a crack/defect that will allow internal electrolyte to make contact with this insert inside the module where it can't be seen. When this happens, it will trigger a P0AA6 code and if bad enough, will cause the main relays to open. If you place one lead of a voltmeter in the insert and the other lead on each of the module terminals, a good module should effectively read 0 volts. Sometimes it may read a higher voltage and rapidly decay down to 0v. A module with this internal defect will read a steady DC voltage, meaning the terminal and the insert have continuity with each other via the electrolyte. That module, even though it may be powerful, is still a bad module.

GuamKelly likes this.