1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery 12 volt problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by matt71571, Apr 1, 2013.

1. matt71571

matt71571 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We t to start my prius this morning, and had to jump it. This is about the 4th time in a year. My battery is reading 11,7 volts do i need a new battery, or is something draining my battery. It is a 2008

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Lot's of 12v replacement material on the site, look around, most replace with the Optima yellow top, the new model has the correct terminals to connect to the prius, the prior model needed to have some modification, it's a gel, deep cell battery, or you can buy an oem from the Toyota dealer.
    Taking the Mylar(covers the holes) off the one in your car, filling it with distilled water and trickle charging it for a day, will make it last a bit but as the motor is always charging a battery that won't quite take a charge, you'll be using more gas then necessary.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Optima is not a gel battery, it's a spiral wound AGM lead acid battery.

John (Btitprius)

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You do not say in your avatar where you are from, if your not in the US the Optima is not for you. As even the OEM poor as it is, is more realisticaly priced outside the US. There are other options.

John (Britprius)

6. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    There may be something draining your battery and you likely need a new one.

If you have the smart key option, which I love, then it is drawing power searching for a key. This is not usually a problem unless the car is left unstarted for long periods, say a couple of weeks. In that case turning it off with the button under the steering wheel is best.

But with this age, assuming it is the original battery, and the reported voltage reading, and the fact it has needed jumping 4 times now, it is most likely weakened to the point of needing replacement. With every jump you run the risk of connecting it in reverse resulting in very expensive damage. Better to replace the battery when and where you choose instead of the alternative. In that case you might find this thread interesting. Fitting mobility 12volt AGM battery. | PriusChat

7. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  8. Classic_pri

Classic_pri Former 2001 Prius 0wner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I got my Optima Yellow from Advance Auto. It lists at about $200 but the big box auto stores often offer large promotional discounts (20% or more) on their websites. I ended up paying about $150 plus tax.

9. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Correction: some replace with Optima brand. Most replace with Toyota.