1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery acid is eating exhaust shield

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by zander, Jun 8, 2013.

1. zander

zander Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I checked the fluid level in my battery, all cells were low, I filled all cells 4 days, noticed some white powered on the battery compartment, some moisture on the battery and cleaned the area 4 days ago. Today I noticed some blue moisture on the floor, I looked under the car and the exhaust shield had some white powered substance, muffler had the blue moister in the top and the bottom of the muffler. I than removed the covers in the battery compartment, removed the vent tube from the battery, I than inserted a Philips screw driver thru the hole and it went thru the exhaust shield and onto the muffler.

What would cause this: overcharging from putting the car in b-mode , bad battery and if I need to replace the battery, what would be the best replacement for a battery

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      129.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      35.1 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      73.5 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      158 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      88.8 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      71.7 KB
      Views:
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would reduce the use of b mode, i never use it. but we don't have the hills you do. then again, 2010's are notorious for bad batteries. you may have solved it by adding water, or you may want to replace it prophylactically.

3. snoctor

snoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think that's from use of B-mode. I'd be at the dealer demanding warranty covered work.

4. zander

zander Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think the Dealer will cover this, the car has 61,280 on it.

5. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Maybe you should replace your battery.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

WE0H likes this.
  6. snoctor

snoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd still check. The below info is copied from
    Warranty Coverage Information 2010 Toyota Prius | Prius 3

The 2010 Prius warranty can be broken down into several areas of coverage. Like most vehicles on the road today, it starts with the popular 3 year or 36,000 mile “basic warranty”. Most likely in an effort to instill trust, Toyota adds additional warranties to cover the hybrid system and other systems.
    Basic Warranty: 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Covers repairs and adjustments to correct defects in materials or workmanship of parts supplied by Toyota. Wheel alignment and wheel balancing are an exception to the rule, only getting covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles.
    Hybrid System Warranty: 96 months or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. This warranty includes the Battery Control Module, Hybrid Battery, Hybrid Control Module, and the Inverter (with converter).
    Powertrain Warranty: 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. This includes the Engine (cylinder block, head, internal parts, timing gears & gaskets, the timing chain/belt, valve covers, oil pan, oil pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, water pump, fuel pump, seals and gaskets). It also covers the Transaxle, Motor, and Generator (case, all internal parts, transaxle mounts, seals and gaskets). It covers the Front-Wheel Drive System (drive house and internal parts, axle shafts, drive shafts, CVJ, front hub and bearings, seals and gaskets).
    Restraint System Warranty: 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. This covers the vehicle for any repairs needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship on seatbelts and/or air bag systems.
    Corrosion Perforation Warranty: 60 months regardless of mileage. This one is for repair or replacement of any body panel that develops perforation from corrosion (aka rust through).

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gee I am confused...I thought Prius used AGM batteries which no user maintenance requirement for filling cells with water. Are we talking about the orig 12v battery here? How often have you filled the cells?

edthefox5 and dbcassidy like this.
  8. zander

zander Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is the OEG battery wet cell, I have filled this battery 2-3 times a year.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm thinking your frequent top-ups are the cause.

10. zander

zander Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Every time I fill up each cell, I'm adding 2-oz per cell, 6 cells = 12 oz

11. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My guess is either your battery case is leaking or there's some spillage of electrolyte as a result of topping off the battery.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

12. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What is OEG and why filling so often?

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Think he means OEM.

14. zander

zander Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OEM battery is being filled because the fluid level is very low just a hair above the plates in the battery

15. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This sounds like a battery over charging. The only thing that could cause a problem like this would be a shorted cell in the battery or a faulty voltage regulator in the alternator. Change the battery first of all then check the charge voltage. If it is over 14.2 v max then the alternator is running wild.

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a lot of water.
    Somebody correct me, but I am thinking this batt is not supposed to be filled with water.
    I googled this pic, seems to be from Prius Chat. I don't know if this is your exact batt, but first line says "Never add water". So that could be the problem.

You want to get a new 12v battery and you are going to have to check for damage that needs to be repaired.
    I checked my Gen2 op manual for info they were silent on adding water to batt. However, my Gen2 repair guide says it is maintenance-free because not much H2 is created when charging. Now that you have added water, it is probably making H2 gases when charging which is potentially unsafe situation.
    [​IMG]

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As a service for dyslexics:

Prius Battery.jpg

WE0H, RRxing, BZzap! and 1 other person like this.
  18. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The "pads" between the plates should -just- be wet. No liquid above them. You are not seeing the plates, just the "pads" or mats. It's an AGM (absorptive glass mat) battery.
    You have probably lost acid from over-filling the battery. Time for a new battery.
    If you are going to add water, once every two or three years is enough, and add just enough that the "pads" can be seen to be soaked. NO liquid above the "pads" please!

Hey, that battery in the photo has a warranty! It's got to be good for four years, but probably a pro-rated replacement.

19. zander

zander Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The battery in the photo is not my battery, the liquid in each was just above the vertical plates and there was plenty of room to add water. This is a wet cell battery, just like any wet cell for any car and this is not an AGM battery. I checked the voltage 14.5 vdc running or not

20. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Did you buy the car new or used? If used, then someone replaced the AGM battery...