1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Acid Replacement Campaign?????

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ggarman, Mar 17, 2005.

1. ggarman

ggarman Junior Member

Does anyone know about this Campaign? I called the dealer to see if my 03 met the criteria for the DVD Navigation Update, it doesn't, but it does need this Battery Acid update...

Is this the battery acid in the regular 12V battery? If so, why not just swap the battery. Or does this have something to do with the HV battery, but the last time I checked NiMH batteries don't contain liquid acid, :)

I spefically asked the service guy if this is for the HV battery and he said yes, I think he doesn't have a clue.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone here with a 1G Prius will have the details, but there is a campaign for the HV battery. But AFAIK it has to do with cleaning the Bus bars and putting new sealant on them.

There is, however, electrolyte in the NiMH batteries and they can be refreshed by replacing/adding new electrolyte. But I'm not aware of any TSB/SSC to routinely do that....it's more of part of the recycling issue.

3. prius mdt

prius mdt New Member

The campaign is for the HV battery. The condition that started this campaign is for corosion at the positive battery terminals that the HV ECU detects as high resistance. I beleive at the onset of this campaign, there were only 3 known cases nationwide. Toyota wants to ensure reliability with hybrids and so has initiated this campaign as preventive maintenance.

The HV battery will be removed and stripped down to expose the individual cells and terminals. Then the terminals will be cleaned and all nuts on the HV buss will be replaced. The terminals will then be sealed so as to prevent corosion from ever occuring.

Because the HV battery swells when hot, the service must be performed after the car sits for 4 hours. Our recommendation to our customer's is plan on leaving the car the night before your appointment.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"73357)</div>
    Is not the electrolyte in the case of the NiMH a strong base not an acid?

5. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggarman\";p=\"73355)</div>
    Don explained it well,but I have 1 question; A battery Acid update? Haha,somebody needs to be trained a little better on the Prius,don't you think Don?

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The alkaline elecrolytes are in sealed packs. Can't be replaced.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"73554)</div>
    I believe you're mistake Dan. I have first hand knowledge of someone in the process of doing the recharging...they've already obtained the electrolytes and have the information needed to do the refill/recharge...tho', AFAIK, they have not actually tried it yet.

The batteries are set up to be able to be recharged and that is part of Toyota's recycling program for the NiMH batteries (something the duffus that wrote the "No Hybrids" article apparently didn't bother to check out.

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

That's news to me. Usually battery recycling involves taking apart the battery for the individual parts: plastic, metal, electrolyte.

9. prius mdt

prius mdt New Member

I've had my hands on these batteries - both in the shop and in Toyota class. In fact I was one of few to go to the special "hands on" HV battery campaign class - where we were taught the techniques required to perform a successful maintenance. I have never heard anyone from Toyota mention serviceable / replaceable electrolyte. Nor have I seen any sign of a serviceable port on the individual cells. In fact the electrolyte is absorbed into the plates - like a dry sponge absorbs water - I can't imagine how you could service these cells (other than replacement).

And yes, it is a base, not acid - consult ERG - use boric acid in case of spill.