1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery advice - blocks 4 and 12 weak?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jfrench, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Jfrench

Jfrench Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hey all,

I've got battery issues on a 2008 Touring. I am short on cash, so planning to DIY if I can. I've read the extremely informative thread here: Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | PriusChat

I have red triangle of death, my Dr Prius app and OBDII device shows P0322 and P0314. Screenshots attached, not shown is block 4 going low similarly to 12.

My question is, is it possible that there's just some internal corrosion / loose wires that would cause these errors? I haven't removed / inspected the pack yet.

If it turns out that replacing modules and rebalancing is a good route for my situation, are lineman's gloves necessary, and if so which brand would you recommend? I'm relatively comfortable working with high voltage...have successfully repaired a tube amp with 400+ live volts and worked inside my home's breaker box...but no prior experience working on a Prius battery. Also, any PC members in New Orleans with some chargers to lend?

Thanks in advance!
    Jesse

Attached Files:

#1 Jfrench, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  2. Jfrench

Jfrench Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One more question - what is the range of battery life I can expect, assuming I successfully replace modules & rebalance? I'm doing the math on price vs. life, and considering borrowing a bit of money to buy a new drop-in replacement from newpriusbatteries.com aka 2k1toaster.

The ICE and transmission were both replaced shortly after purchase (threw a rod - see my other posts on the forum), and have approx. 150k miles so with regular service, hope to get another 100k at least from this vehicle. The rest of the vehicle seems mechanically sound...fingers crossed.

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Lineman's gloves are a safety precaution just like:
    goggles when using a circular saw, grinder (stationary stand or handheld)
    helmet when riding a bicycle or motorcycle
    Since you have worked on active high voltage before, and are still alive, I will put in you in a very advanced category: far more competent than the majority who want to do module swaps. There are some who give off competency of only dealing w/ 1.5V DC alkaline batteries.

Why are you not using Techstream? It is the official software written for Toyota/Lexus. It can read ALL codes and is necessary for certain maintenance procedures. Bluetooth readers and all the apps are junk: can NOT read all codes, can NOT do maintenance procedures (bleed brakes, crank engine for compression check, ...)

Possible, but I say unlikely. Original HV Battery warranty was 8-10years, by design. If yours is original, it is 11 years old.

No one can give you a definitive answer. Rest assured though it will NOT last as long as a NEW OEM HV Battery. Remember, the battery modules contain chemicals that wear out. The remaining modules are getting older, and you are adding modules that may or may not be in worse shape than the other modules. Do not expect a used/rebuilt/etc battery to give you longevity of a new battery, just as a used tire will not last as long as a new tire.

Finances aside, the better question is what is your time worth to you? Can you afford the down time when you have to do another module swap? What would you rather be doing with your free time? You can save money (spend less, pay raise/promotion, 2nd job, sell things), but you can NOT earn more time. Whats your long term plan for the car? Keep a few months? Keep a year? Keep until the next catastrophe happens?

If you are able to borrow funds for a new HV Battery (OEM or 2k1Toaster's cylindrical option), interest FREE, that would be a win.

Jfrench and Skibob like this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    See my story about a failed HV battery in our 06. It's in my sig line below. Pretty much covers everything you're facing except 2k1's option which wasn't available back then.

GOOD LUCK!

Jfrench likes this.
  5. Jfrench

Jfrench Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Because the BT reader was Amazon Prime eligible at $12. See my comment about being short on cash...

This is such a great point, thank you! I have decided to sell the vehicle, so this helps clarify my options.

After consideration (and watching the video of how to get at, and remove, the battery - ugh) and putting everything into a spreadsheet to compare...I've concluded it's more worth my time to buy a new 2k1Toaster battery, install it myself, and sell the vehicle. If I can get close to the money I've put into it, it's a win (asking $7500 for an '08 Touring, 135k miles, with a brand new battery).

I wouldn't feel right about replacing a couple modules, sewing it back up, and selling it to the next person...not to mention the amount of time and hassle that it would take to test, replace, and rebalance the battery pack, with no certainty about time till next repair.

Now to look into a loan from friends / family. Thanks for the opinions!

#5 Jfrench, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  6. Jfrench

Jfrench Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you! Great thread. I've decided to buy and install a new 2k1toaster battery. Cheers!

fotomoto and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After you put a new battery in why would you not keep it? Sounds like everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

8. Jfrench

Jfrench Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's true. The reason is, I moved to New Orleans 2 months ago, the roads are awful here, and my girlfriend owns a RAV4 which I can drive when I'm not riding my bicycle around. The Prius, with its low clearance, is not the best vehicle for this city. So I'd rather pass it on...

9. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good reasons. I didn’t know the roads were so bad in New Orleans.

10. Jfrench

Jfrench Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yah...the downsides of building a city on a sinking swamp.

After more thought and consultation, I might just sell the car as-is...but it's probably worth my time to replace the battery and sell it fully functional.

#10 Jfrench, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1) That's commendable of you to be honest about the condition of the car to the next buyer. Good Karama for you.

2) I still say get Techstream b/c current significant other has a RAV4. Techstream is the OFFICIAL diagnostic and maintenance software made for Toyota/Lexus, and used at Toyota/Lexus dealerships. Bluetooth OBD2 readers and all the various apps for smartphones/tablets are junk: LIMITED code reading ability (can't read ALL codes) and can NOT do any maintenance on the Prius (bleed brakes, engine compression check, activate CHRS pump, etc). Why waste money on a toy that limits what you can read and can't do maintenance?

Get mini VCI w/ Techstream from Amazon ($18+). Doesn't matter who you buy from, as the cables likely come from the same one or two suppliers from panda land. Installation easiest on a Windows 32bit OS (XP, Vista, 7). Ask friends/family if they know someone in IT, as this person will likely have obsolete laptops laying around, and might be able to donate for free. B/C the software is hacked, recommended to install on a spare laptop; do not use this laptop for sensitive information (log in & passwords: email, bill payments, etc). This laptop is now your Toyota/Lexus diagnostic laptop. Mac install possible, you just need to search online.

Should you stop driving a Toyota/Lexus, you can easily sell your Techstream laptop set-up. Private Sales | PriusChat

3) I vote sell car as is and reduce KBB "Fair" Private Party price by $800; essentially splitting the cost of 2k1Toaster's NEW cylindrical replacement for next owner.
    Values used for pricing: zip 70032, 135,000miles, grey color, standard options for Touring, FAIR condition.
    upload_2019-6-8_16-2-11.png