1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery advice for my 2015 Prius IV

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by John Ryan, Oct 26, 2017.

1. John Ryan

John Ryan New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2015 Prius IV that I've had since 2/2016. I have 69,000 miles. When I first got it brand new, I actually was getting the promised 50 mpg. However now I have to drive extremely efficient to exceed from 37 mpg to about 40 mpg. I've changed the air filter, gotten the oil changed, added fuel cleaner....Nothing gets me back toward the promised mileage.

I know that Toyota warranties the battery for 100,000 miles.

First question: Does anyone have experience enough to know if I am getting what I am suppose to get for pg? or if I likely have a legitimate claim to Toyota that would result in me getting a battery replace by the manufacturer?

Second question: I am in the Dallas area. If it would not be covered for replacement, I am looking for options to recondition the battery to get better mileage. How much can I hope get by getting service on the battery? and does anyone know of a Dallas area shop that can perform this to rejuvenate my battery?

Thank you for your help - I am a novice at this stuff.

2. 5 Speed

5 Speed Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you calculating your mpg or is this on the dash? What is your tire pressure? I have a Prius II and have never got below 50mpg and typically 53 to 55 per tank. I wonder if your brakes are dragging and you have low tire pressure.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Many people here use the Prolong charger from Hybrid Automotive. @jeff652 would know it there are any shops in your area with his equipment. Any reconditioning would not nbe covered under Toyota's warranty. They basically replace filed batteries as determined mainly by vejicle trouble codes. If the check engine light is not on, there are no codes.
    I would be surprised if there is an issue with that new a battery that has not been sitting much. The Prius likes to be driven.Without any error codes, any troubleshooting is just guessing.

Is the Hybrid battery fan clean? Hot batteries to not perform as well.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lots of things can cause poor gas mileage.
    Please provide the brand and model tires that are on the car.

Please provide the air pressure in each of the 4 tires.

What type of gasoline is in the car? Does it contain any ethanol?

Is air filter relatively clean/new?

What viscosity oil is in the car?

How old is the 12v battery?

Is the throttle body and MAF in need of cleaning?

With the right, relatively inexpensive tools ($50?) you can look at the battery health yourself. But I'd probably focus on the other stuff first.

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the battery is not throwing a dash light, then it is operating within parameters, and is not the cause of your poor mpg's.
    you probably have a rubbing brake or what all else.

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your hybrid battery is under warranty (8 years/100k miles).

Here's a test I've posted before: After you engine is fully warmed up, take a 20-30 mile highway trip using cruise control, and make sure it's round trip. Start the Trip A or Trip B right after you get on the highway. If you're by yourself, you should get slightly over 50 mpg if you set your cruise control at 70 mph. Don't do this when it's too busy to use CC.

If you're tripometer indicates the mpg in the high 30's, then there's something besides the traction battery to check out. At highway speeds, the traction battery doesn't play a large role.

(and as others have asked, it's important to know the tire pressure in each tire)

Grit likes this.
  7. mike.snow1405

mike.snow1405 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check tire pressures, brake dragging and possibly wheel bearing failure. I had a rear wheel bearing failure around 70000 miles on my 2014.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tire pressure. tire type? wheel bearings, brakes, both regular and parking, oil level, air filter, cabin filter, intake manifold, egr, traffic, weather, commute, etc....

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. TheLastMojojomo

TheLastMojojomo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring