1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery and warning lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bryan hubbard, Jun 5, 2021.

1. bryan hubbard

bryan hubbard New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2007 Prius red triangle and brake system warning light came on. Hybrid battery fan as well. Toyota dealership confirmed hybrid battery failure and offered to replace. No thank you. I tested 12 volt battery which is 7 years old and found it was bad also. I replaced the 12 volt battery myself and plan on having the hybrid battery restored at a local shop. The problem is that after replacing the 12 volt battery all the warning lights came on and the car won’t start. The two codes that I have been able to get from my Autel code reader are C1259 & C1310. These seem to be common and I can’t find anything that suggests that they would prevent the car from starting? If anyone can offer me some insight I would appreciate it. This is my first time working on my wife’s old Prius. It has been reliable for 170,000 miles.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    That OBD2 scanner may not be hybrid compatible, as there should be other codes (DTCs) being reported for a no start condition

Try cleaning the butterfly valve and the surrounding throttle body by using a toothbrush dipped in vodka or rubbing alcohol.

If you're having HV battery issues, contact @PriusCamper as can offer a loaner pack if needed, and is only about 1 hour away from you.

3. bryan hubbard

bryan hubbard New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok will do. Thank you.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hiya, I'm South of you in Olympia and can help with diagnostics, loaner battery packs, etc...

SFO likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If your car had no 12v power while the batteries were being swapped, it will take 2 presses of the power button to reset everything.

Foot on brake...first press will turn on the dash but just about every light will be lit
    Foot still on brake...second press resets everything and car goes ready

You will also lose:
    1. radio presets
    2. the driver window auto up/down function
    3. and the fuel gauge will show only one flashing dot.
    reset the window by raising it completely and continuing to hold the 'up' button for 5 more seconds.
    fuel gauge will recalibrate itself. Sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes 5 hours

6. bryan hubbard

bryan hubbard New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

7. bryan hubbard

bryan hubbard New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply. I tried this carefully but on the second push of the power button the power and all lights go off...

8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would suggest having a digital multimeter connected to the 12V jumpstart point underhood to measure voltage there while you try to "ready" the car. I am wondering if you have a loose connection at the recently installed battery.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

SFO likes this.
  9. bryan hubbard

bryan hubbard New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will try this. Thank you.

10. bryan hubbard

bryan hubbard New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there. I have tried everything that has been suggested including cleaning the throttle body and butterfly valve. There was a small amount of oil inside of the throttle body. I drained some oil as I think it was over filled slightly. I don’t think that is in play here because the car ran fine until I changed the 12v battery. That is fine considering that the hybrid battery is dying and the battery fan was on along with the red triangle and the brake system warning light. What does hooking up with you regarding diagnostics look like? I am ignorant in this instance but very capable once I know what I need to fix. I don’t want to tow the car to a shop and pay for diagnostics.

SFO likes this.
  11. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like you're still having a 12v issue, were you able to confirm the voltage at the jump points under the hood (post #8) ??
    If this was this something you paid the dealership for, then they should've provided the OBD2 codes on the written estimate/receipt.
    When not wanting to pay the dealership or repair shop to scan or diagnose, many prefer to use a 'mini-vci' cable and Techstream (dealership technician software used for diagnostics and repair) installed on a windows device, others may get by with using an OBD2 bluetooth adapter with an App like Dr Prius or Hybrid Assistant, some use Torque. Please post the OBD2 codes (DTCs) in this thread for additional guidance.

From what you've mentioned above (Warning lights displayed, HV battery fan runs on high, Dealership confirmed, etc.) it is quite likely that you have a failing HV battery, do you have a DIY attitude and want to fix this yourself?

12. bryan hubbard

bryan hubbard New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did test the voltage at the jump points under the hood and it is good. My wife took the car to the dealership and they sent her home with an estimate for the hybrid battery and in-line filter whatever that is. No codes on the estimate which is what frustrated me for $143.00. Anyway, I am handy with automotive repair but plan on having the battery restored in a local shop but was not planning on the car dying in the driveway. The codes I got from my Autel scanner were C1259 & C1310. Those seem to have been cleared as they no longer show up after I erased them. I am talking with another member about helping with the diagnostics and have been researching my options for getting the equipment I need to do this myself. I don’t want to buy something that doesn’t work.

SFO likes this.
  13. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Let's start a conversation via private messaging or texting on the phone... Will message you my contact info.

SFO likes this.