1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Blower fault & water leak

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by superCol, May 5, 2011.

1. superCol

superCol New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have 2006 Prius hatchback, that developed the following faults,
    red Tringle
    VSC light
    Brake light

After a visit to the dealer I was told it had developed a fault on the HV battery blower, and had a water leak on the rear hatchback door, and needed to be checked by the toyota Bodyshop.

Sounded expensive so I had a go myself.

After striping down the area around the back seat and door I found the problem.
    It appears that for some reason there is a hole in the chasis directly under the 2 bolts holding the rear door damper/springs.
    There appears to be a gasket between the damper and the chasis that does not cover the hole.
    Thats where the water appears to have got in. Plenty of gasket seal used, Sorted.

The water gets through on both sides of the door, Trickels down the inner part of the chasis to just under the body rear window, where there is a connector, on both sides of the car.
    The connectors link the blower motor and the blower relay, to the HV battery ECU.
    Over time the water on this connector had competely disintegrated one of the conectors.
    A quick patch wire bypassing the connector and the broken wire sorted the problem(I wasnt going to spend a fotune on a new connector/wiring loom)
    Too access these connectors you dont need to strip down the back of the car like i did.
    You just need to remove the panel under the door catch, and the 2 adjacent side paanels, and carefully inspect the large connector blocks for water damage.

Its still a brilliant well built car, but with a few minor faults that can prove extremely expensive going through the dealership.

Hope this may help
    Col

printone2, Blazej, alekska and 2 others like this.
  2. Blazej

Blazej New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    thanks to your post I've repaired my car. I'm attaching photos that should help others to find the issue.

Attached Files:

printone2 and bisco like this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very common leak area.

Look in the 12 volt battery well its full of water too and under the spare tire also.