1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Brain Protector instalation & Photos

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Beachnut, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I saw so many threads of concern here on Prius Chat over the 12vdc Prius battery going dead during long storage, or not being able to start the car due to old battery age - low voltage. So I decided to do something pro-active to prevent this seemingly common problem. I bought a "Battery Brain T1 protector" from Amazon that monitors the 12vdc battery voltage, every 2 seconds, and electronically disconnects the car, from the battery if the voltage ever drops below 11.8vdc. The Company that makes them, (STRS Energy Inc.), says at that 11.8vdc voltage, you should still have enough "reserved power" to start the car by simply pushing the reset button on the Battery Brain, to reconnect it back to the car when you need it. So if we leave a door open, leave the lights on, or even if the battery is getting too old and falls below 11.8vdc, we now have a warning, and a quick solution to the immediate problem, simply push the reset button, and we should be good to go. With the included versatile installation parts, I was able to mount the unit in a perfect location so as to not even have to remove the battery cover, to be able to press the reset button! It just took a minor dremel modification to round out the slot on the battery cover to get the Battery Brain button and cap to fit perfectly. I also had to remove the battery cable from two holders in order to relocate the cable connection further out. All in all, about an hour to complete the job - mostly due to being too cautious with measurements, and unknown installation location planing time. Sorry, some how the last two photos were turned upside down after uploading them.:notworthy:

20140908_134340.jpg

Attached Files:

mrbigh likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great idea, write up and pics, thank you! this is the long awaited solution to an extremely common problem. i see these becoming very popular. all the best!(y)

3. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I assume you lose all your presets when the battery switch shuts off the current flow.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Seems to be the case, there is mention of a bypass wire in the reviews on Amazon, that can supply power to some circuits like the radio so presets aren't lost.

SCH-I535

5. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes there is a bypass wire with fuse included in the box, to connect from the Battery Brain spade lug, to the accessories so not to loose presets. Yet, on our Pri, having that battery in the back would mean running a wire up to the front of the car--> somewhere, somehow. Anyone know what you would need to connect to- in order to save those presets, and, what is the potential of that continuing to drain the battery unto death?

For me,, a car that can still be started, and a battery that has not been overly discharged, is worth the lost presets. The other good news, is when I disconnected the battery to install the Battery Brain, it did not reset the program eliminated back up BEEP-er, or, the seat belt beeping, that I had the service guys program out. (y)