1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery & brake actuator

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Catslave, Jan 11, 2024.

1. Catslave

Catslave New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    Love my 08 Prius for the mpg, quiet & smooth driving .... But the dashboard is out now 95% of time (which I can live with so long as I remember to fuel up every few days), and when it is on, battery light is on. Dealer mechanic says battery needs to be replaced even though there's no other symptoms of battery failure. Moreover my brake actuator needs to be replaced .... I have to be careful not to be going to fast when approaching intersections, as I skid whenever applying the brakes fast. The car only has 190k or so miles (not really sure since it doesn't record miles whenever the dash is out). I say "only" because I've gotten 300k out of other Toyota brands . Seems like this is the end of the road for my Prius as I'm not a DIYer when it comes to cars ..... But open to suggestions.
    I do need to drive 30k a year for at least another year before retirement, otherwise I'd hold on as it seems still ok for careful city driving.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You should just bite the bullet and buy the replacement dash from the guys down in Texas I did this for my '07 very nice condition $700 car well worth it If you move the ground with the deck lid open and you get the door open red light to show that means when you crank the car the dash is going to light up if when you put the car to sleep at night if you're on private property and you're able to just slide a piece of cardboard over the trunk lock so it won't fully latch and you can see that red icon on the dash that says the door is open You can leave the car like that even in the freezing cold overnight when you come out in the morning if that door open red universal symbol is red your dash will light up when you push the button and your mileage will keep counting in your gas gauge will work I dealt with this for 2 years no issues It's worth it to find a break actuator put it on your car and do the dash it'll take a Saturday afternoon and then you'll take that car to 600k everything else being normal now if you're burning oil in the car's been beaten it looks like hell you particulars will vary.. I'm in the southeast with five of these so rust and all those antics are not a problem break actuators are normal to do The one NZ engine should not be burning oil unless it's just been beat on replacements are plentiful etc It's a great car to keep on the road this will carry you until whoever the powers that be get the decisions in place and all of that at 30K a year That's 600K should take you a minute at best Good luck.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Indiana is a tough call for chassis condition so I don't know

4. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have lived with a dash out for small lengths of time and it was really annoying. There are dances (door open/close, headlights on off) you can do to try and stimulate that capacitor and get the dash to light. Wish I had the link to the one that seemed to work well, but I would recommend searching youtube.

I feel like I had some success using Techstream to exercise the ABS. Do you have dash warning lights on for the actuator or is it pumping up often? Techstream requires a OBDII to usb cable and an old computer.. no tools.

I have never replaced a Prius 12v battery... maybe I have been lucky, not sure, but none were relatively new. Voltage test seems to be the best diagnostic. Seems like posts here ask for voltage readings sitting and in ready mode. might make sense to do that and pick up an inexpensive voltmeter. Probably can use the jump post in the fuse box.

None of the suggestions here require breaking out tools, except for a cheap multimeter and old computer (with that OBDII cable)

My first Prius had an issue with the rear brakes locking at low speeds in the rain.... was more of a shock than dangerous. I also drive very conservatively so may not have noticed it any other time.. That car had no lights on to indicate issues

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    1)Spend money on this car. 2)Spend money on a different car. 3)Wait until this car breaks even more & hope that there's not a crash when it does.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Brian1954 likes this.