1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery capacity indicator question

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by snakeshoes, Dec 21, 2019.

1. snakeshoes

snakeshoes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New Prime owner here. I hope the forum can help me with something I can't seem to find in the manuals or via searching online thus far. When the car indicates that the EV battery is 'fully charged' via all 3 blue lights on the dash on at end of charging or via the instrument display on the dash showing "100%" and 0 time to fully charged, is the battery at true 100% capacity charge or is the Toyota software telling me 100% at a lower actual state of charge to protect battery life?

I've been told by multiple sources that charging batteries up to full on the regular can degrade their capacity and I'm wondering if a safeguard against that has been built into the car or if I need to make sure I stop charging at 80-90% full myself.

Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is toyota telling you it's charged as much as they allow. they have always had a buffer at the top and bottom since they started building prius.

3. snakeshoes

snakeshoes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah, so not true state of charge of the battery but "percentage of Toyota's allowable capacity within the full size of the battery"? That makes sense. I know my Gen2 was like that but haven't been keeping up with the details of new cars since then until now.

Thanks

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the percentages have probably changed a bit, and idk if lithium allows for more or less buffer.

5. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As @bisco said, there's a definite buffer built in. You don't need to worry about anything.

Also if you have a 240v receptacle near your Prime, you can use your Toyota OE EVSE unit for quicker 2:28 minute charging.

Rob43

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Note the 100% on the dash is just a representation of usable capacity. The aftermarket gauge on the right shows actual capacity.

The system is designed to always prevent overcharge and never allow deep discharge.

Bruce ( Berkeley CA) likes this.
  7. Bruce ( Berkeley CA)

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The display is fantastic! How do I do it on a Prius Prime 2021? LE

8. Ovation

Ovation Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    If you mean what is on the right side of the image, that is not part of the Prius Prime's instrument cluster but a display (likely on a smartphone) of an aftermarket app that works with an OBDII dongle (where mechanics plug in to check various diagnostics on any modern car) and displays information we would never otherwise see.

9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is the view out the windshield, probably from a dash cam.
    Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 6.46.30 AM.png

This is another camera aimed at the car's dash:
    Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 6.46.42 AM.png

This is a recording from Hybrid Assistant running on an Android phone connected to the car's OBDII port.
    Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 6.46.58 AM.png

John puts them together with a video editor so we can see what's happening with all three simultaneously.