1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Cell Load Testing...Load Wattage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by goku9384, Apr 5, 2018.

1. goku9384

goku9384 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm about to load test all my prius cell batteries. I'm going to be using a car headlight. What bulb style and wattage would you recommend to use to load the cells? Also what is a safe voltage to discharge the cell that won't risk any damage. Thanks in advance.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Use a standard H2 halogen headlight bulb in the highest wattage you can find. Wire both high and low beams together, but 60/55 W will work satisfactorily.

6.0 V is safe, although you can go as low as 4.8 V with relatively low risk. You will need charger to charge them back up to 7.2-7.4 V as well.

goku9384 likes this.
  3. tri4all

tri4all Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    couple of simple questions:
    1. using the car light bulb at 55 watts only puts a load of 7.5 amps. I know this is the standard protocol. but isn't this too high of a load?
    2. I thought the real life load for the entire battery was 200 watts which equals about only 1 amp per module.
    3. am I missing some basic math here? please help with the math

#3 tri4all, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    By definition, a load test puts load on a "circuit" for a fixed amount of time - (typically 2 minutes on most threads I've seen). You record the initial voltage, apply the load, then record the voltage at the end of 2 minutes, just before removing the load.

Generally, you aren't using the bulb to completely discharge the modules. So you aren't worried about minimum voltage during the test.

Using a hobby charger to cycle the modules, I have gone down to 6V, then 5V if needed, but that was 1.5-2A, "clamped" in the mounting frame, while constantly cooled by low fan pushing air through the bottom duct.

I'm not sure what "math" you're referring to. The HV pack can charge or discharge at 20A for quite a while. For a few seconds I have seen 100A+ charge and 160A+ discharge. Multiply that by the battery voltage equals a whole bunch of watts.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That got addressed in the other thread, just by clarifying that in a series-wired battery, each module sees just its 'share' of the total voltage, but the full total current.