1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery changing issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by James Schendel, Apr 12, 2017.

1. James Schendel

James Schendel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OK I changed the 12 volt battery myself - man that was some kind of herculean effort to get that done! How much stuff can Toyota put in the way of the battery that you have to disassemble just to get to the battery???

Finally after a back-breaking effort I got the battery changed and hooked everything up. Success! the car started right up. But then after about 2 miles of driving, the red triangle warning light came on and also the check engine light. The car seemed to be running smooth so I kept going. Then the red light went out but the check engine light stayed on. The next day the check engine light was gone. Then everything was fine until a week ago when I started up the car and the check engine light went back on and the digital display panel went out!! Blank. Couldn't see my speedometer, my odometer, my gas gage, nothing. but still I pushed the button and the hit the gas and I could hear that the car was on so I drove without the display panel on. Then I got home and I pushed the power button and the car wouldn't turn off! It was Sunday night so no mechanics were open so I waited a half hour and then pushed the button and the car turned off. I checked the car a couple times and it was the same thing... check engine light on, and no display panel. Then Monday morning i went out to the car and started it up and voila... the display panel is back on and no check engine light. I guess the car is OK but what the hell happened??? All i did was change the battery!!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your Prius never really turns off under normal circumstances. So when you unplug the 12 battery, that may have been the first time in years that the car was turned off. I am glad it recovered!

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It sounds like you may have several issues pending on your car. You may want to get the codes read to see what's causing all these weird lights. The speedometer going dark is from a bad combination meter. There was a 9 year extended warranty on that but your car is over that time frame. You may want to get that issue addressed if the speedometer keeps going dark.

The check engine light might be the start of the catalytic converter going bad. It'll keep going on and off until one day, it'll stay permanently on. This is usually caused by your engine burning oil. You may want to keep an eye on the oil level.