1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Charge level staying lock at 7 bars after battery rebuild.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bryan Hildebrand, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Bryan Hildebrand

Bryan Hildebrand New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I need some in put here as to whether my battery rebuild went very will or do I now have another problem. I've just had to do a rebuild on my 04 Prius battery for my daughter. according to the dealer I had one bad cell. I orderd two just in case and dug in. I'm a youtube machanic. in other words that's where I found out how this was done. Found and replaced the bad cell. Checked the rest of the cells and all where will with in range in fact they where all better then even the replacement cell that was reading 7.5 V. All the cells where reading 8.03V to 8.06V. one was 7.98V. I had purchased one of those hobby chargers that they use and preceeded to do a auto charge on all the cells just to get a starting point for my discharge/recharges that I wanted to do. Got them all up in the 8.00+ range. At that point my cheap charger gave out so I called it quits and reasimble the battery. Got it back in and the code remained and using a OBD11 reader could not clear the P3056 code. after looking up what the problem was dug back in and found one plug I had some how missed plugging in. Presto everything is working and cleared the code and all seem will. ALMOST. On the battery meter screen the battery meter is showing 7 bars(blue) out of the 10 possible. Thats good except it NEVER moves off that up or down. It shows it charging and discharging as it should but does not budge from that amount of charge. Is this good or do I have another problem?

2. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    there should only be 8 bars and if it is the 3rd bar down that would be the last blue bar which is 6. but the bars are not linear. so if your bar is the 6th one it has a greater range in battery percentage (so does the 1st green bar than the other ones if it's on the top blue bar and stays there it's operating pretty normally but if your on the freeway it should eventually run into the green.just because of regenerative braking. drive it a bit further pulse and glide and eventually you should get it to budge. but b4 you do this just try draining the battery a bit and see if it moves, parking brake switch to reverse let go of regular brake it should not move beyond lifting the back if it does you got a brake adjustment problem don't hit gas turn on ac and lights the bars should drop in about 1-3 minutes.
    good luck
    terramir

Bryan Hildebrand likes this.
  3. Bryan Hildebrand

Bryan Hildebrand New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for your reply. That did clear up my questions. Yes there are only 8 bars. Mine is staying on bar 6(blue) as you said. I did finally get it to move today. After a fast up hill freeway entery It dropped one bar then shortly after came back up to bar 6 again. Then this afternoon I got detured onto a back windy hilly road and got it to move up one bar into the green then back down. then as I slowed down for my drive on a down grade got it back to green as I pulled in to my drive. After this and what you explained I now feel good about my repair and officialy call it complete!!!. Thank for your in put. Bryan