1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery charging continually

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by vtcofield2100, Oct 27, 2022.

1. vtcofield2100

vtcofield2100 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When at a stop the arrows show charging the battery when I go to neutral it stops and car stops rolling. Has always done this since I got the car I think. It as if it’s driving though I’m not on the accelerator.
    Separate issue I just had a hybrid battery installed the level only goes just past midway. It wasn’t doing that before the replacement.

Any thoughts?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The hybrid battery was replaced with the refurbished unit? And you're saying you're old battery which you know to be dying or new to be dying or had bad modules or whatever would go to a full charge and then discharge and what have you? That's actually pretty normal so far you'll quickly charge and discharge when your battery's failing miserably and then when you put in a new battery even coming off the rack it's going to probably take a good little drive to get it charged up you know a nice good little run. Now that my new Toyota battery is a few months old like around 6:00 I noticed that it stays charged and even green a lot longer than I've ever noticed it before in the car.

3. vtcofield2100

vtcofield2100 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I replaced a defective battery with a refurbished hybrid about a month and the battery level doesn’t go as high as the previous. Mechanic said that’s fine. ??

Issue2 unrelated.
    At a stop the battery arrows are away feed the electric motor. When placed in neutral it stops. Not sure what to make of that.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We had another new owner make a very similar comment. It took awhile to figure out he was coming from a background of driving only vehicles with manual transmissions. He had no idea automatics had a crawl "feature" that would intentionally pull the vehicle forward when releasing the brake. That makes no sense coming from something with a clutch, but for Prius it's perfectly normal.

CR94 likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    everything sounds fine