1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery charging through cig lighter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by NavyLCDR, Feb 20, 2017.

1. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought a 6 amp battery charger/maintainer mostly for my mother-in-law's car that she drives only once about every two weeks. I installed the ring terminal cable on hers for a more permanent connection and will eventually install one in the trunk of my Prius. In the meantime, a cigarette lighter adapter also came with the charger. I'd like to make sure my new battery is fully charged; so can I leave the car in the ACC ON condition overnight with the charger connected to the cig lighter? Is the only thing the ACC position turns on the audio system and the cig lighter sockets?

In the next couple weeks will install the cable permanently to the battery and just run the fairly small cable through the hatch lid. But if I want to do a charge before then?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm pretty comfortable with just using clamps. Leaving the car in accessory, in order to use the cig lighter outlet, seems kinda pointless.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What's wrong with leaving the hood up and charging through the jump terminal in the fuse box?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With our infrequent use this is how ours looks as often as not.

IMG_6364.JPG

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Outside in the rain?

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You run an extension cord to your car in the rain?

edthefox5 likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You could tuck a compact charger under the hood, run just the cord out. There's a few point along the edge of the hood were it's doable I think.

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you purchase a "Battery Tender" or other battery maintainer, they usually come with several types of "pigtails", intended to be installed in the car, ATV, or motorcycle you intend to use them on. Installing one of these in the underhood fusebox is easy and recommended rather than trying to leave the car "on" in whatever state needed to charge from the accessory power outlet. Most of these battery maintainers are small, and easily fit underhood. You can close the hood on them. You can even leave them under there when driving and simply use the "block heater" type plugin arrangement (plug hanging out the grill to be used when needed). DO ensure you properly affix them if you intend to leave them under there. Drivers side is best, far from the exhaust heat. ;)

9. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So I tried it. Plugged the cigarette lighter adapter into the aux plug inside the center console box. Ran the cord through a cracked back door window. I did leave the key in the center tray (will try it without the key next time). Put it in ACC mode, turned off the Navigation Display and the Audio. Charger started charging and showed 94% charged. Went out about 15 minutes later, charger still going at it, 95% charged. I opened the driver's door and got a beeping letting me know car was in ACC mode. Closed it, beeping stopped, charger kept charging.

Went out two hours later, charger had switched to Auto Maintain mode (Charging complete).. Opened the driver's door and this time the charger shut off immediately and no beeping from the car.

So - at least with the key inside the car there seems to be a timer function that after the time is expired the car will go from ACC to off when the driver's door is opened. Next experiment will be with the key removed from the car. In fact....I'm just going to go do that now..

10. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The thing is that if you have to leave the system in ACC-ON for the outlet to be connected, then that in itself is putting a load on the 12V AuxBattery which means it would be charging and discharging simultaneously (I realize that it would work, but it's rather inefficient). I used the pigtail with the rings on (red -> positive terminal in fuse-box, and black -> nearby ground point) - photos (if needed) to come later!

11. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What extra loads are turned on with the Audio system off and the NAV display turned off?

And don't get me wrong - I'm not doing this as a routine :). My permanent ring terminal jumper is arriving tomorrow with will be connected directly to the battery and then I'll just run the fairly thin charger cables through the side of the hatch lid so I can close it all the way when I want to charge.

12. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It isd
    It is my understanding that all the computers which control the system use 12V (it's the same reason that the system will not "start" if the 12V AuxBattery is dead) - I'm not sure of exactly how much current the system (computers etc. etc.) need to operate, I'm just sayin' - that's all! :)

13. refnoredcard

refnoredcard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Similar solution here. 8 year old battery in my Prius which has been driven maybe 1/month the last 4 months due to COVID work from home was dead...couldn't unlock the car with the key FOB. 11.2V on diag display, 11.8 after full over-night charge with NOCO G3500. Replaced battery and have ordered a solar trickle charger (POWOXI 3.3W-Solar-Battery-Trickle-Charger-Maintainer), but alas, can't use the cigarette lighter and don't want to try to get under the dash to rewire it (which I did fairly easily in my old Camry). So while replacing the battery, just put terminals on some spare 16AWG speaker wire, connected it to the terminals of the battery, and ran it under the seats & carpet to come up under the passenger seat. When the solar trickle charger arrives, I'll figure out some way to splice a connecter on the end of the speaker wire to the solar charger.

Cheers!
    p.s. Navy AQ1(AW)

bisco likes this.
  14. Skidia

Skidia New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you manage to find a way to do this? My Prius (14 yr old) regularly has a dead battery from being used v irregularly and while I think it's probably time for a new battery, I would like to fit a permanent solar trickle charger.

I park on the street so running anything out of the bonnet won't work.

Funnily enough my partner is a LCDR too. Just about to try and sort his car out so its ready for when he gets back from sea.