1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery constantly pulling towards wheels while in drive & idle

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by HondaTheNextOne, Sep 15, 2016.

1. HondaTheNextOne

HondaTheNextOne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lately my fuel economy has dropped (from about 51 to 48) which isnt much but there is definitely something going on and yesterday I figured out a large part of the issue.

When I still have the engine in Drive but am parked (i.e. when pulling into the garage and stopping), I can see the battery is constantly in use, where I am certain in the past nothing would happen at all (i.e. no energy or gas used). This occurs whether I have everything off (radio, AC, etc) or on, does not matter. The main battery will then make a slow 'pulsating' noise while I am parked, in drive. When I push the Park button, the noise stops.

I am going through the issue of my ABS light being on and plan to replace the sensor (or have the dealer do it while they take care of the pending recall) but I'm wondering what this could mean?

This is a 2013 Prius III with approx 57000 miles. I've had it for about a year and a half.

Very abnormal for this car. Why is it doing this? Is the main battery about to crap out?

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Have you checked the fluid levels? Are your sure the coolant is full? I doubt you have a issue with the traction battery at this point.

Are you certain the Prius is in S4 mode when you are parked as you described?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the 'creep' feature would use the battery as you pull into the garage. the battery itself doesn't make any noise, so i assume you are hearing the tranny. how are your tyres pressure?

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When you "pulsating noise", are you referring to the fan for the traction battery?

Also, the arrows you describe they are on when you are in Park. Is that correct? Are looking at the Energy/battery screen on the MFD or the HID screen on the dash by the odometer?

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going with...you haven't got this problem as figured out as you think.

I have to agree, that as a chemistry based component, I don't think what you are hearing is the battery slowly pulsating.

My FIRST exploration would be into why your ABS light is on.
    It might not just be a faulty sensor.

But I'm placing my purely speculative bets on it's NOT your Hybrid Battery.

If I'm wrong?
    The good news is your still under warranty.

6. HondaTheNextOne

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is S4 the same as EV mode?

Tire pressure is good and tires are only about 2 or 3 months old. The noise I'm referring to could be the tranny -- it's kind of that 'robot' noise that you hear when creeping along, i.e. in a parking garage at 8 mph, for example.

I wasn't very clear when I said pulsating noise -- it may be the tranny I am hearing, as bisco mentioned above. It is the 'robot' noise that pulsates.
    As for the screen i'm referring to the HID screen on the dash. I'll check and see if the MFD shows the same.

7. HondaTheNextOne

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes I need to get this in to Toyota sooner than later.

Honestly, to me this all stems from the ABS and ( ! ) lights being on. When my tires were replaced a few months ago, a day or 2 later I hit a bump and the ABS sensor came on. It went off when I parked. This went on and on for a few weeks. Even took the car back to Discount Tire and told them the ABS sensor has been weird ever since they worked on the tires. They 'took care of it' for a few weeks until finally it came back on permanently. Thats when I noticed the wire was hanging down on the passenger front tire and was showing the inside wires. I put some electrical tape and tucked it up into the wheel well. So it has been an adventure.
    All this on top of DT telling me I need an alignment. Shop says alignment is perfect and that there may possibly be frame damage/bent frame, but that's a different story...

8. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The noise you hear could be related to the ABS light indicating something is wrong with the brakes. As you probably know, the car will creep even with a light application of the brakes. A harder push on the brake pedal will stop the creep and the flow of current from the battery. If the issue is with the brakes, it is possible that shutoff isn't occurring and you're hearing a noise from the drive motor. I'd suggest getting the codes to see what the diagnostics are telling you.

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you are worrying about nothing. MPG varies just like everything else. The noise you describe is normal and will always do that if you are in gear and the transaxle is being driven only by the battery. It is also normal for the noise to stop when you go into Park.

S4 mode is described as follows. For more information on all of the modes, refer to this link.

http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/five-stages.txt

S4:
    Stage 4 is normal, full hybrid operation. The Prius is most efficient
    in S4. The car will go into golf-cart mode at the computer's
    discretion. You can encourage it to do so by lifting your foot off the
    accelerator pedal for a moment, and then pressing on the pedal very
    lightly. This is known as "feathering" the pedal. Feathering does not
    force the car into golf-cart mode, nor is it necessary for the car to
    go into golf-cart mode. It merely encourages the car to do so a little
    bit sooner than it would otherwise do on its own. The benefit of
    feathering the pedal is questionable, since the computer is deciding
    when it thinks Golf-Cart Mode is most desirable. Increasing the time
    spent in Golf-Cart Mode may only increase the efficiency losses
    involved in charging the battery and drawing power from it. On the
    other hand, encouraging Golf-Cart Mode when the SOC is very high may
    be useful, as it creates head room in the battery to accept charge
    wheen needed.
    Above 42 mph the ICE must spin, and will generally provide power. It
    is possible for the ICE to spin without providing power to the car
    above 42 mph, and this has been observed. But since the ICE is more
    efficient at these higher speeds, Golf-Cart Mode above 42 mph (Super
    Golf-Cart Mode) is unusual. So the maximum speed in EV Mode is 34 mph,
    cutting out at a tiny fraction over 34 mph, and the maximum common
    speed in golf-cart mode is 42 mph. You can go faster in non-EV
    golf-cart mode than you can in EV mode.

I will echo what was said above, if you do have a problem with your traction battery, it is covered under warranty.

Concentrate on getting the ABS problem solved, then go from there.

Best of luck to you.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the robot noise is the 'vehicle proximity notification system'. to warn pedestrians, that a car is approaching which may be otherwise nearly silent.

new tyres may account for your mpg drop.

11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    exactly, no problems there...

EDIT: Additional info.

The OP did mention new tires. All of the seasoned regulars here on Prius Chat are aware that MPG can change when new tires are thrown in the mix. I suspect that could be one of the items contributing to the loss of three MPG which is being claimed by the OP.

End of EDIT.

#11 dorunron, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  12. HondaTheNextOne

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I really appreciate this everyone. I will update you once I get it looked at.

And I always thought new tires would *help* MPG, not hurt it?

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) it depends on what tires you mount.

2) if you mount low rolling resistance tyres, it takes a few thousand miles to break them in, and it depends on how they compare to the tyres you had.

3) worn tyres actually give the best mpg, worse everything else. there's no friction.

14. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The pulsating sounds like the robot pedestrian warning bisco was talking about to me also, but that should not be going if you are stopped, even in D. When you let off the brake pedal it resumes. Nor should the energy monitor show any arrows when you are in D but stopped. It's almost like you aren't holding the brake down hard enough and the car thinks it is in creep forward mode. Or maybe the tire shop messed up the brakes to where they aren't holding the car correctly?

Eclipse1701d likes this.
  15. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Dead on. It sounds like EV is active and you are stopping the car with the brakes. That can't be good for the electric motors. The proximity indicator and the arrows on your screen verify this diagnosis. The computer does not know you have come to a complete stop. Take the car to the dealer, as soon as you can.

Kramah313 and HondaTheNextOne like this.
  16. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    So the tire shop or someone/something else broke the ABS sensor wire. That's going to cost (new sensor). About $100 last I checked.
    You -must- get that fixed ASAP! By law and for obvious reasons (the braking system doesn't work properly without it).
    As posted above, that is the problem you have to fix. Find a good Toyota dealer to do it. It's not a simple job due to the hybrid complexity.

17. HondaTheNextOne

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The prices Ive checked were all over the place, ranging from $50 - 200, so 100 sounds about right. I'm sure it will be closer to 200 at the dealer but we will see; I have an appointment for 730 in the morning.

The brakes work fine; there is an ever so slight difference in the feel when I push them but they do work.

It has affected my cruise control though -- cruise does not work at all when the ABS and ( ! ) lights are on.

Others have said replacing the ABS sensor is fairly simple -- do you think it will really be a tough/expensive job?

18. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It is a simple job, as mechanical repairs go.

Those sensors are also used by the VSC system, and that is why the cruise won't work. It is being told you are skidding and cancels.

The brakes do still work, but in low tech mode. This is for safety. In other words, they can still stop you, but if you approach skidding braking intensity you would find the car spinning. A very experienced driver can compensate, others not so much. Once repaired you will be amazed by how hard the Prius can stop (remove all loose items from the cabin if you decide to test this!!).

19. HondaTheNextOne

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Its a $300 part, plus the $120 diagnostic plus labor = Im looking at about a $500+ charge :(

Theyre going to try and apply a Veterans discount as they did when I bought my weathertech floor mats.

Can't say that Im totally surprised at the cost. Im sure I could have done this on my own but I feel better letting them do it.