1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery cooling fan wires cut?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Some Dude Guy, Jun 3, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Some Dude Guy

Some Dude Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    IMG_5408.jpeg IMG_5407.jpeg Had the car for about a month now, went to clean the blower for the battery, which was very dirty, and noticed what looks like the power and ground wires cut for the fan plug? I’m very concerned, if that’s the case anyone know how to fix it?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep... Previous owner had an error code for bad voltage reading to cooling fan, which is a known problem. The person who did the repair correctly found the problem in the corrosion of the connecting wires in the white plug and simply cut the wires and bypassed it. They should of thrown the white plug away because it is no longer needed. I guess that's your job now...

Main thing is the roof seams under the black trim tend to leak with age so you want to clean and inspect them and add some epoxy or whatever if you find cracks. The corrosion of the connectors in that white plug was caused by this type of leak. Also check to make sure the water isn't still riding around in your 12v battery compartment.

3. Some Dude Guy

Some Dude Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the reply! Glad it was done well when it was fixed. I didn’t see any corrosion on the battery terminals but once it rains again I’ll check it out, thanks for letting me know about that!

Also idk why I thought that plug went to the blower motor, I suppose because it was clipped to the housing lol. I got the fan cleaned up fairly well too, that dust was caked on, took an hour or more to clean with Q-tips and alcohol.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    -- It's not corrosion on 12v terminals, it's water filling up the space the 12v sits in.

-- Those wires go to some relays before they go to the fan, so on first glance it doesn't seem related.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That connector has 4 wires entering and leaving. Only two were cut and spliced. The yellow and purple wires are still using the connector. Unless you do the same splice to those two wires, I would not recommend trying to yank it out :)