1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery cooling while charging

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by randerson9248, Feb 9, 2024.

1. randerson9248

randerson9248 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    During warm months a lot of times when I turn the car off I get a message about battery cooling while charging; yes or no. Is there any way to set this as a default yes, so I don't get the message?
    Richard
    2017 Prius Prime

2. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't think you can default it to yes. I never turn it on, I simply lower the windows while charging.

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The first time I got that message and I had DrPrius running the traction battery temps were reading 100 F
    The second time I got the message and could also see the DrPrius temp reading they were 95 F.
    Just to help you get a handle on when and why you'll see that message and be able to answer Yes before the message disappears. I've also missed answering the message at least a few times.
    I agree it's not ideal to have that message and only give 5 seconds to find the steering wheel button(s) to make the selection.

pasta4breakfast likes this.
  4. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'm sure the battery charging ecu monitors the battery temperature while charging and can slow down/cut back the amperage applied; if the battery gets too hot.

vvillovv likes this.
  5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    which might be why the cooling feature is available to help slow the charge into the battery when the ECU's decide to switch on the battery cooling / pre-conditioning feature. It's not always switched on at the same time charging starts. Battery cooling may not be exactly the same as pre-conditioning when ambient temps are in the 90 F or above range, but they look identical to me from what is shown by the 3 LED's on the Gen 4 dash, the amount of time the cooling runs and the heat pump / ac unit as it spins up.

I've also been able to run pre-conditioning several times during one charging session when ambient temps are really high and I'd like to use cooling for more than the default 10 minutes per charge session.
    Also, pre-conditioning is controlled the the ECU's and can only be used when the ECU's permit. So it's not always accessible when pushing the button on the fob.
    Also pre-conditioning will run without the Prime being plugged in, if the ECU's determine the conditions for running it are met.

#5 vvillovv, Feb 10, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2024