1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery current in your Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Roger T, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Roger T

Roger T Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought my Prius around Feb 2014.

Then i did the recall in Mar 2014 of the ECU update.

So the battery current reading i see in the SGII is mostly corresponding to the updated ECU software.

Current in Full EV mode(without turning on the ICE): Max around 45 amps

Regen: -100 amps, peak i have seen is -110 amps

Full Acceleration: have not test it yet. Will report later.

Is this the same as what you guys with Scangauge see?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did it change before/after the update?

3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see about the same peak regeneration currents. Not sure about currents under the other conditions listed; I tend to avoid those situations.

Who can explain why the traction battery current, according to my ScanGauge, jumps around a lot even while the HSI is steady, especially when the car is moving? Maybe some sort of mismatch of sampling rates, update frequency, ripple currents, etc.?

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The ECU update reduced the ramp rate of current, or rate-of-rise, in order to reduce heat stress on the inverter power components. Unless you occasionally floor the accelerator, or accelerate quickly, like when entering an on ramp or speeding up quickly to change lanes, you probably will not notice the difference.

Before the update MG2 would accelerate quickly. Now there is a pause when you first press the accelerator but it will eventually get up to speed as the current is ramped up. If you are used to the fast acceleration, the first time you try it after the update the definite pause will catch you by surprise.

The Prius tries to keep the ICE at its most efficient sweet spot and uses MG2 to vary wheel torque for small changes. That is why you see the current varying all of the time with the ScanGauge. You will also notice that it is switching from positive, flow from the battery to MG2, and then negative, regen from MG2 to the battery.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is this an XGauge add-on, with the ScanGauge?

Capture.JPG

6. Roger T

Roger T Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mendel Leisk likes this.