1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery dead after four days

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GeoffM, Oct 29, 2004.

1. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I recall early reports of some cars having this battery problem. In some fashion, the batteries were run down before they were delivered to the new owner. I believe Toyota replaced them under warranty.

2. GeoffM

GeoffM Junior Member

Well, OK, I procrastinated for a couple of weeks beacuse of things going on at work and didn't get my car to the dealer. Yesterday afternoon I jumped in the car to drive home from work and it was dead again. This is after driving almost every day since the last incident. I got a quick jump, took the car home and recharged the battery so I could get it to the dealer this morning.

They've had the car all day long and just called to tell me it's fine - nothing wrong. After a heated conversation with the service writer, during which time he accused me making the problem hard to find because I recharged the battery instead of having it towed in - we have decided to leave the car overnight to see if it is dead in the morning. I asked about the current draw when the car is turned off and he said it was 300ma., in spec. He kept on telling me the car "has a lot of electronics" in it and that's what is causing the problem. He even went as far as saying the last time it died after being parked for three days was normal!

All I know is this: Toyota needs to do some major education of their service people when it comes to the Prius. The car is not that complicated, and just because you can't find a code in the computer doesn't mean there isn't something wrong. How hard can it be to find a problem like this? Is the car draining the battery too fast when it's off? Is the charger doing it's job? If both of these are OK then guess what, I bet it's a bad battery. Why do they insist on making this so hard, and more importantly, why would they even consider giving the car back to me just the way it is (broken) simply because they can't find anything wrong? It's not like it's a minor inconvenience when it happens. The car is dead.

I'm really steamed about this. Nothing I hate worse than incompetence driven by ignorance and fear, and these guys seem genuinely afraid of, and intimidated by, this car. Are there any good service techs out there any more???!!!

Geoff

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Excerpt from Geoff

"...I asked about the current draw when the car is turned off and he said it was 300ma., in spec..."

Geoff I don't know if that is in spec. or not, but my 2001 Prius draws 28 ma and I have read that the 04 is 38 ma. If your lead acid (PbA) battery has 38 amp-hour capacity (my guess), this current drain would bring it down in ~5 days, and this is not typical Prius experience.

Three potential issues here: (1) your PbA battery is not getting recharged while the car is in "ready on" mode (2) your PbA now has much reduced capacity as a result of prior deep discharges (3) you Prius is drawing too much current while off. Any combo of the three.

Someone with a voltmeter can eliminate (1) above by confirming a system voltage of 13.7-13.8 in "ready on" mode. Battery capacity testing (2) is quite simple; they connect it to a low resistance load, measure the voltage, and consult a table. No idea why your shop can't/won't test the battery. If you do have excess "quiescent load" in your car (3), that might be difficult to locate. I hypothesize without evidence that a bad door switch could be the culprit, and there must be many other possibilities. FWIW, at low temperatures (esp. below 32F), PbA deep discharges become much more damaging.

Nothing wrong with the suggestions to look at battery maintainer options, but if your odometer says that you are under warranty, you ought to work with a more mentally agile Toyota servicer. I hope it's nothing further than getting a new PbA for free.

If you mention your locality, perhaps someone will suggest a good shop. Good luck.

DAS, and Tochatihu, 66k, PbA OK

4. ALoLA

ALoLA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wouldn't be surprised if it is indeed the battery. While checking out a dealer in Alhambra, the one Prius they had in the back was completely drained. The sales guy didn't even have a clue as to why, but he assured me that the Prius could be jump-started. Needless to say, I didn't buy from them. :)

5. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    i'll be going away for a week. because of the discharge issue of the 12v battery i plan to turn off the SKS. would it be safe to say it won't discharge? would it help if i have someone power-up the car (after 3-4 days i'm gone) then shut-off after initial warm-up?

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eak354\";p=\"51300)</div>
    With SKS off (or doors unlocked which keeps the SKS inactive anyway) you should be fine for a minimum of 10 days--and actually 2 weeks or more should be OK. This 3-4 day battery discharge is an anomaly probably due to a bad battery, but possibly do to some parasitic drain on his system. Don't let this story worry you.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have a friend that travels extensively and he regularly has his car sitting for up to 10 day stretches and he has never had a battery issue. in fact, he was the one who convinced me to get a Prius as i had several opportunities to drive his car. he also doesnt do anything to the car to prepare it for storage.

8. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We just returned from a nine day trip and had no problem starting Carmyne on Monday morning. We did not do anything special before going away and left the smart entry system on the whole time. Having the battery discharge in 4 days is definitely not normal.

9. GeoffM

GeoffM Junior Member

Further update. I just got off the phone with the dealer and once again he tells me the car is fine. He claims the dealer I bought the car from didn't do the PDI properly, and that my battery wasn't fully charged when I picked up the car. I asked why my 18 hour drive home from Michigan (where I bought the car) wasn't sufficient to recharge the battery, and his answer was the car couldn't recharge the battery from the "state" it was in from the dealer. He tells me they put the battery on their "special slow charger", and that I won't have this problem any more.

[Begin Rant]

Could this whole episode be any more ridiculous? Could these people be any more clueless about how to find and fix a problem? And could the "father knows best" attitude from the service advisor be any more patronizing? I've been fed a lot of lines of BS in my life but this stuff takes the cake.

Needless to say my next stop is another Toyota dealer. And while I was reluctant to mention this dealer's name until I had given them a chance to recover from the initial silliness, well, that time is over now. So if you live on Long Island and need to take your Prius to a dealer for service, DON'T go to Westbury Toyota. Their service department is clueless about the Prius, and my service writer was patronizing, misinformed and unhelpful.

This is my first Toyota and my experience up to now with the car and the company has been nothing but positive. Amazing how one bad dealer can change your whole attitude. Westbury Toyota will never know the damaged they caused and the sales they have now lost, like the hybrid Hylander I want to buy. They're only about 3 miles from my house I really wanted to like these guys. Now, I'll never go back there for anything.

[End Rant]

Geoff

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you called the Toyota Customer service line and lodged a formal complain yet? You need to. Make sure they understand that this premature discharge has occured twice now and that you feel the 12v was probably deeply discharged prior to your recieving the vehicle or that there is an as yet undiagnosed parasitic drain and that you feel you're entitled to a replacement 12v battery under warranty.

I don't know what else, besides trying another service dept., you can do.

11. GeoffM

GeoffM Junior Member

I picked up the car a while ago and I'm curious about something: My backup/seat belt beepers were still off and all my radio station presets and trip odo's were where I left them, so am I correct in assuming the battery was never disconnected?

If that's the case, then I'm really stumped as to how they determined whether my battery was being discharged too quickly, and what they checked this morning. My understanding is that with lead-acids, you need to check cell voltage unloaded to get an accurate indication of state-of-charge, which you obviously can't do with the battery still connected.

One other thing. When I took the car in I mentioned the loose handling at higher speeds, and asked them to check the alignment. When I called about the car this afternoon I was told the alignment was fine and that my problem was caused by overinflated tires. They claimed I had 45 psi in the tires, and they "adjusted them" so now that problem would be fixed. Oh boy, here we go again. All I can figure is they checked the pressure with hot tires, because I had just checked over the weekend and they were 40/38. When I got home I checked the pressure with warm tires and here's where they were:

LF: 30
    LR: 32
    RF: 32
    RR: 31

Needless to say I'll be resetting them to the correct pressure when they're cold.

Evan - I'm taking your advice and filing a formal complaint with Toyota about this incident. I still can't get over how hopelessly inept this service department was with my car.

Geoff

12. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My batttery charger instructions DO say that a very deeply discharged battery might need special handling before it will accept a normal charge. For that case, you are supposed to put it in "start mode" for 10 minutes, then put it in normal mode. I'm not sure, but this MIGHT be just for deep cycles, which the 12V is NOT. So in this case the dealer COULD be right. However, I think that they should disconnect the battery before doing any charging other than normal.

Given the pressures you got with warm tires, I would agree with you that this service dept sounds like one to be avoided. Even if they dropped them to "spec" they would have been higher, not lower when warm.

13. GeoffM

GeoffM Junior Member

I called the Toyota Customer Experience line on Thursday evening after I got the car back from the dealer. I explained what had happened and my concern that the problem was not fixed. The rep. I spoke with was very understanding, took all my information, and told me a Prius adviser would contact me within 24 hours. I left both work and home numbers.

I never got a call from anyone on Friday, as promised, and as expected, this morning the car was dead again. I just tried calling them, but the Customer Experience center is closed on the weekend.

I am not a happy Prius owner today.

Geoff

14. Smooth Operator

15. GeoffM

GeoffM Junior Member

Just a final update on my situation. I took the car to another dealer in my area and their diagnosis was a bad 12v battery, which they replaced. Hopefully this is the end of my saga.

Geoff

16. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoffM\";p=\"54920)</div>
    Be sure to go Na na na na na to your previous Stealer.. I mean dealer. :guns:

17. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    this is just a follow-up of my previous post. i went on vacation for a week so turned off the SKS. when i got back, i powered up.. no problems! 8)

18. GeoffM

GeoffM Junior Member

A sad follow-up to what I thought was my last post on this subject. My new battery was dead again yesterday evening, nine days after the dealer replaced it. I charged it overnight last night and it's back to the dealer again this week. At this point, either it's not being recharged properly or the drain when the power is off is far exceeding the norm. You would think both of these would be fairly straightforward to troubleshoot, but my experience so far with Prius mechanics (and mechanics in general) doesn't inspire confidence that this will be solved easily.

A thought: Toyota shops really need to hire a different type of "mechanic", and that's a guy with a lot of electronics/computer background. Go find some guys with Associates degress from the tech schools and then train them specifically on the electronics in the Prius. Three years from now all of Toyota's fleet is going to be as "complicated" (my dealer's words, not mine) as the Prius, and if anything will kill Hybrid sales fast it will be dealers giving the car a reputation that it can't be easily fixed when it breaks.

Nothing against the guys with wrenches, but the skill set needed to diagnose problems like mine is a lot different from the skill set you need to do a brake job or replace a head gasket. Over the many years I've been dealing with car problems and car mechanics, the single weakest area of understanding and troubleshooting skill I've seen in most shops is fixing electrical/electronic problems. Most of these guys are just clueless and they "fix" problems by replacing stuff until they finally get it working again. The trend I'm seeing now is the almost total reliance on "codes" from the onboard computers to tell them what's wrong. No codes, nothing's wrong. That's exactly what the first Toyota dealer said when they tried to find my dead battery problem.

Bottom line is you need really solid, locgical troubleshooting skills to fix computers and electronic devices, and that's what our cars are becoming. I sure hope Toyota will push the dealers to add that one guy in their shop that has these skills and can diagnose and fix electronic problems the first time. As for my problem, it's trip number three back to the shop.

Geoff

19. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

what so hard about putting an ammeter between the positive terminal and the battery cable and seeing what the reading is both running and charging and when off and supposedly no draw or milliampere draw. This is basic auto-electrical procedure. Find out where the draw or lack of charge is and repair or replace as required the component that is causing the problem. Come on Toyota if your making a car that has this amount of electronic components put some onus on the dealers to have staff on hand capable of diagnosing and repairing these cars.

20. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

With a new battery, and if the charger is putting out a charge current (or 14V to create the current), then there is a parasitic drain. They probably will have to divide and conquer. Even the repair manual uses that approach for problems like a shorted CAN line. Could start with fuses that supply constant 12V. It could also be a stuck relay that supplys 12V normally only when the car is in ACC, Ig-On, or Ready. Again, pulling fuses could help narrow down the circuit with the culprit.