1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery dead, jumped, then display freakout w/check hybrid system

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kenedamick, Apr 23, 2013.

1. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

Exactly. I was standing there at the counter of the valet, and KNEW that this was going to turn into a $hit $torm - argued with the manager about it and everything. We'd been traveling all day from Central America and just wanted to get home. Just the perfect storm of misfortune.

If the battery goes out - just get it towed. No question.

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To me, it looks like there were only 2 parts replaced: battery and a fuse. The rest is labor (over)charge for their "troubleshooting" (probably very incompetent). But, yes, I would not allow someone else to "jump" my prius and no, the valet should not have offered that in the first place as they are not competent car mechanics either.

Welcome to the new brave world, where most people are idiots distracted by social media.

srivenkat and Merkey like this.
  3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    check your horn to see if it wrks

4. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

5. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

Spammy. Yeah - my horn works. I know because I had to use it at some blabbermouth woman on the phone who cut me off going about 70 mph.

6. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't you just love that kind of driving technique.

7. rkalbo

rkalbo 2024 XLE

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I have one of those battery jumper packs in the back of my 2011 pruis are they a good idea of could it damage my car

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They are OK to use. The important thing, no matter what you use, is to observe polarity (+ to + and - to -) if you get it backward expensive damage usually occurs.

9. zander

zander Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check the fluid level in your battery 2 times a year. This will extend the life of your battery

10. 3TE

3TE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the half @$$ valet.

Towing is a good policy if you have ample time on your hands, but something as simple as a jump start you are better off keeping a small booster pack in the trunk behind the rear seat. The prius 12V battery is quite small and requires very little to jump.

As others have suggested check the 12v twice a year.

11. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Getting back to the issue before the bad jump.

Especially when leaving your car, make absolutely sure you didn't leave and overhead dome lights on etc... The battery is small just for booting the computer and short term accessories, it can drain easily.

Second, usually you can get by with a week, but underneath the steering column is a "sks button".. Turn it off and it won't be searching for your key fob the whole time your gone. Keep in mind you will need to use the physical metal key inside on the side of your fob to get in when you return.
    You will have to turn the sks back on or hold the key next to the power button to get it to start.

Alan.. Sent with Tapatalk 2

Witness likes this.
  12. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

Great advice - thanks Alan.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is why I changed all the interior lights to LED, of regular brightness instead of the super bright stadium lighting that some others selected. In case of 'user error' leaving any lights on, this gives about 10x more time to discover and fix the problem before a jump is needed.

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had three bad leds I bought, they burnt up and shorted, but in two cases they did it early on after placing them.. Must have just been bad.
    It almost burnt the receptacle in one case it got so hot... That was in my license plate lights.

I still use them, but China has bad quality control on some of those.

tankyuong likes this.
  15. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This was true on the 2nd gen, but not the 3rd. In the 2010+ models, the system will automatically go into a lower power mode after a while of not being used (in 2 steps - the first at 5 days, and the second at 9 days). You can tell because only the driver's door will open the car (of course, that's the case anyway if you don't have the 3-door SKS...), and it won't detect your touch right away - I believe you have to start pulling on the handle before it unlocks.

Anyway, because it has the low-power mode, there's no button any more. If your 12V battery is in good shape, it won't be a problem; my parents left their car for about 8 weeks without any issues. If your battery is already marginal, well, even having the button might not have saved you. SKS is not the only thing that consumes power in the car while it's off...

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I stand corrected, good thing my wifes not listening, but the generation 3 no longer has that button . But I know when scrambling with luggage and trying to get out of the car it's easy to forget about a light left on LED's are nice.

17. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

As an update to my experience here, I am working with the manager at the Parking Valet and she's submitting my car damage as an insurance claim. We'll see how it goes. They know I'm going to destroy them on the internet/BBB if they don't make this right, so I am cautiously optimistic....

18. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
  19. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

Yep - to finish this whole thing off, I just received a check from the Parking Valet for the full amount. Disaster averted.

Don't let anyone jump start your Prius!

20. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now u know. :)