1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Desulfators

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by freshspeedo, Dec 24, 2008.

1. freshspeedo

freshspeedo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  2. tigerpilot

tigerpilot Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I'm also interested in personal experiences with these. I have two of them and really can't verify if they have done any good. Have read various articles that say they really don't work. I guess they don't hurt anything so ????

Regards, Don
    Naples FL

3. freshspeedo

freshspeedo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    which brand are you using tigerpilot?

Anybody else out there have any experience?

4. tigerpilot

tigerpilot Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    One is Battery Power Solutions Desulfator BLS-12/24-B
    It does not have a charger built in and I think it might be more powerful than the one listed below. 12 or 24 volts 'cause we have a 24 volt battery in our plane.
    The other one is a "BatteryMinder" Desulfator and charger, model 12112.
    Regards, Don

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I use them with marine batteries, but in my case the equalization cycle is built into the charger. They do work for normal batteries, but make sure you set the parameters correctly or you can do more damage than good.

Tom

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I use VDC Battery Minder units on a couple of tractors, an ATV, a snowmobile, and a work truck, at my hobby farm. In the case of equipment that can sit around for sometimes months, the desulfator will absolutely extend the life of the battery

With a car used daily, I would think the benefits are minor to none. When I first had my Prius, the 12 vdc battery became severely drained the first winter. I had a 10-15 minute commute in city traffic, in temps down to -40, headlights on, electric defrost on, etc. The battery would not maintain a charge

It got to the point when I would power it up in the morning, in the heated underground parking at the condo I used to have, the auto headlights would dim to a dull orange, and the coolant pump would slow to a groan

In that case, a Battery Minder really worked well. I knew I would be away about a month on a business trip. I actually removed the 12 vdc battery out of the Prius, took it up to my suite, and left it plugged into the Battery Minder the entire time

I had to return after 3 weeks, due to a family tragedy. Put the battery back into my Prius, powered up, and the auto headlights barely flickered. So I got into the habit of leaving the Battery Minder on whenever I had the car parked

When I got my FJ, I only had time to drive it from the dealership to my house, then left for a couple of weeks on a business trip. It was obvious they didn't properly charge the battery. I came back and it only clicked. Since my FJ can easily sit for 2-3 weeks at a time, I always have it plugged into a Battery Minder in my garage