1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery discharging.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusHead05, Nov 23, 2020.

1. PriusHead05

PriusHead05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I noticed something yesterday that has never happened to me before. I was headed to the store, but by the time I got half a mile down the road, my hybrid battery went from 3/4th of the way charge to down to two bars. This kinda scared me a bit. It did charge back up very quickly. So then just this morning, I rearranged my Prius in my driveway. The battery was half full. In less than a minute it dropped to three bars. I have on the way a Dr. Prius compatible OBD2 scan tool. So once I get that I will check the hybrid battery. I don't have an lights or triangle or anything. But I am wondering if there is a draw on the battery over a period time. It has 138,000 mi. It's a 2005.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The battery wears out over a period of time and when that happens, it tends to lose it's charge when just sitting.......and acts differently when in use.
    Given the age and mileage on yours, the odds are that your HV battery is getting weak.
    There are TONS of discussions on here about that.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It's one of the signs of failing battery. If an original 2005 battery, congrats it had a good long run. Plan accordingly now (research).

GOOD LUCK!

edthefox5 likes this.
  4. PriusHead05

PriusHead05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its original. Thanks!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.