1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery disconnect - saving presents/mileage info?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PriusGuy32, Sep 24, 2012.

1. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So Ive read on the forums that one of those gadgets you plug into the 12v cigarette lighter socket with a 9v battery wont save your radio presets, etc, like other vehicles because our 12v outlets are switched off after the ignition is off - Gotchya.

I need to disconnect my battery tomorrow but I dont want to lose all of my presets again, Prius settings and mileage info. :coffee:

I do still have the old (albeit only holding 10.5v) bad OEM battery. Can I hook that up somehow under the hood so that when I disconnect the 12v battery in the trunk, it wont make me start over from scratch again?

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, you can hook up a battery to the jump start terminals to save your settings. Anything will do as the current draw is low. But please triple check the polarity as the reversed jump start tales of woe are more numerous than I would have ever believed. 10.5V will probably be OK for keeping the memory alive for a little while.

3. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. Im good on the reverse polarity. Ive been working with cars for years and electricity scares the heck out of me - Im always the triple checker of anything to do with the battery (watching my idiot brother weld a wrench to my dads fender while removing the pos+ battery cable when I was real young helped reinforce that electricity fear) LOL.

So I do have a jump box. Can I hook the jump box up under the hood, turn it on, then remove the 12v battery, install the new one? Would that save all my info BUT not damage anything?

4. Kurzweil

Kurzweil Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That would be the same thing with the same warnings.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But remember when you apply 12 up front you now have 12 across the battery leads in the back even when the battery is disconnected. Make sure those leads don't touch or hilarity will ensue to possible $**** damage.

This juggle is not worth the possible damage just to save 1 minute of radio presetting. Especially if electricity scare's the heck out of you. If your scared you shouldn't be doing this.

6. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    haha.... Im not scared at all of the actual battery swap. Ive done many many in my day. Just seeing what happens when you touch a wrench to the POS+ and then to fender by your Brother at age ~10 will change the way you respect automotive 12v systems.

Thanks for all the tips. I have to call AAP to see if the replacement Optima battery is in. If it is, Ill swap it in their parking lot (Ive removed the battery 2x already and brought the tools to work with me today).

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Btw, if you buy it online from AAA its 15% off with a $50 coupon. Online then pickup at store.

8. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I used the VISA code to get $50 off over the weekend. But AAP gave me a defective Optima - it was the only one they had. They had to special order me a new one and Im doing the warranty swap today.

9. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oops! duplicate. How the heck did that happen?!