1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery dropping to low purple on start up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gazoo6045, Mar 21, 2017.

1. sandman

sandman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I do let it warm over 1 min before driving, and it helps, until I get to interstate, and I am only going 65-70mph, if I slow down any more I will get ran over.. Thinking of getting away from a hybird all together, didn't realize how expensive a new battery was, and I can get an awd RAV 4 for about 5000 less than a three model prius.

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok, then it's fairly certain that the engine is low on power. If you need a replacement/recond engine and a new battery then you might well be better off with a new car.

The poor old gen2 Prius was never a powerhouse, with a 1500cc engine pushing a 3800+ pound car. The electric motors fill in the gap for short periods during acceleration and small/moderate hills, but basically it's a relatively low power car and after both the engine and HV battery are well worn it can only get worse.

Your old gen2 might still provide some reasonable service for someone who drives mostly around town.