1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Failure! help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mikeysaid, Jan 31, 2014.

1. mikeysaid

mikeysaid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i have an '04 with 141k miles on it. two days ago after a work day (four days after replacing the 12V battery because the car would not power on), I got in the car and powered it on and was surprised by a big red exclamation mark. I dropped the car off at camelback toyota here in Phoenix and they sent me a suggested service plan including replacing radiator hoses, serpentine belt, the fuel system service I had anticipated having performed and....
    a full HV battery replacement for the paltry sum of $4,473. according to them it is throwing the error code P0A80 indicating battery failure.

I really don't want to have to go out and buy a VOLT (though I kind of do), and would much rather keep my car running well another year or two without having to spend more than its worth at this point.

what options do I have? are there any good shops here in AZ who can get me reconditioned batteries or fix mine? I havent posted for years... because everything has been fine. I'd love for it to get back to fine.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ask your dealer if they will install a used or remanufactured battery.

If the dealer is open to installing a battery that you provide, and you want a new battery, you might be able to buy a new battery at a substantial discount from one of the Toyota dealers that sell over the web, for example
    AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway Parts

You might call to find out what the price including shipping will be, and compare to the price your dealer wants to charge for a new battery.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Given those parameters I don't know if that equation works out. You now own a 2004 Prius with 141K miles, AND a failed hybrid battery. My point being whatever you spend on a Hybrid battery replacement be it reconditioned or new, is likely to approach or exceed the total value of the vehicle.

So I think you have to evaluate the "worth" of doing it, based on what it's personally worth to YOU.

What surprises me, is you say you'd rather keep the car running well another year or two? If I'm investing into a Hybrid Battery replacement, at any level, I'm doing it because I'm hoping to keep the vehicle for 5-10 years more. If I'm only looking at an additional 2 years? Maybe I take the failure as a signal that it is time to make a change.

Also, if I can afford a VOLT? I don't know if I want to mess around with reconditioned "bargain" hybrid batteries for a 10 year old Prius.

But it has to be up to you. I'm relatively sure with just some digging you can find an alternative that would be cheaper than $4,473. but even at 1/2 that price you have to ask yourself is it worth it if your goal is simply another 2 years of operation?

I guess my history and philosophy has always been I invest into older, higher mileage vehicles ONLY if I want to keep them a significant time longer, and think I can expect to do so with a pretty good return in reliability.

If I'm investing thousands...into a 10 year old vehicle...I want to keep it until it's 15 years old..or older. If I don't think I will be able to do so? Or if that isn't really the plan? Then perhaps I'm at the end of a good run.

So I'd go look at VOLT....if your desire is only two more years with the Prius. I'd make the investment, if my plan was 3-5 years or more desired.

ptn likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look on Craigslist for Prius battery repair in your area if you are unable to do it yourself. $700-$800 is the usual going rate and will get you back on the road. I have had at least 20 batteries rebuilt in the last year and have not had one come back yet.

Here is just one that I found in your area:
    prius hybrid battery rebuild 2004 to 2009

I'm sure there are others.

6. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A