1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery for 3 amplifier

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by Hartish Khoobarry, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Hartish Khoobarry

Hartish Khoobarry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys,

I want to install 3 amplifier on my prius c. I want to upgrade the oem battery. Can you advise which battery can i use?

2. Jdracer

Jdracer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I’m running 200watts rms sub and 300watts rms doors and I don’t see much voltage drop when playing loud. Funny thing I noticed... when the car is on and then engine is off the voltage remains 14.5, so I think the hybrid battery is keeping the voltage up when the alternator is not running. I thought about running super capacitors or even standard capacitor but I’m not sure how the hybrid system will take it, I have no idea how the charging system works on this car.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    There is no alternator. There is a DC-DC converter which steps down the high voltage from the traction battery and feeds it to the 12v system. I've read in other threads that it's good for around 100A, not unlike an ordinary car alternator. That converter is active whenever the car is in Ready mode.

Look at what the amps actually draw vs. what they can supply. They already have significant capacitance in them to smooth out the demand bumps.