1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery/Gas Gauge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jacque, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Jacque

Jacque Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I had a random issue today. I went to start my car this evening, and it wouldn't start. The lights on the dashboard (warning, maintenance, etc.) lit up, and the headlights and interior lights were extremely dim. Figured it was an issue with the battery. Used my husband's car to run errands and came back about an hour later. We decided to try starting the car again, and it turned on, headlights and interior lights were normal brightness, but the gas gauge is at one bar, which I know isn't possible because I have only put 166 miles on this tank of gas. I reset the gauge at each fill-up so I can track how my mileage changes. The maintenance light is also still flashing. None of these were issues I had last night, so what could be causing all these problems? Can I fix it myself, or do I need to take it into my Toyota dealership?

2. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Investigate 12V.

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat! Sounds like you might have a problem with the 12V Auxiliary Battery. You can easily obtain the correct battery on-line for ~$150 (plus shipping), and do the swap yourself (if you have the skills and the tools), or you can go to a Toyota Dealer and get them to do a load-test on the battery and replace if necessary for ~ $200 (but their work will be warranteed) - you pays your $$, and you takes your choice! ;) - hope this helps - Wil

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! the 12v battery affects all the computers. how old is it?