1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery harness wires needed

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by zpi28, Jan 14, 2020.

1. zpi28

zpi28 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Last summer I purchased a 87k mile 2003 Prius. It's in good condition, new 12V battery and I got a great deal on it. I had to replace the front passenger window (lawn mower). It also had the Triangle on the dash. It would run and drive but only go 50 mph with the 12V battery fully charged. After a couple weeks of reading up on this car, I pulled the HV battery and tested. I found 12 bad cells, 0V, all the rest had 7.4/7.6V. This week I finally replaced all the bad cells and installed all new copper buss. I found 3 of the battery sensing wire ends broken. Not researching this I didn't realize that they had to be specific ends to work correctly. I used regular ring terminals and installed back in the car today. The car runs great now, and everything works. I now have a P3030 code. Does anyone sell the correct replacement ends? I could really use 3 ends to finish this battery.

I have been doing automotive work for almost 30 years and am a electrical technician by trade. I work on high voltage equipment (4160V) currently, but up to 500KV in the past. Any help would be appreciated.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi and welcome to PriusChat.

If you truly had 12 modules @ 0 V, that car wouldn't have been going anywhere.

As far as the no 2 wireframe (as it is called) goes, just get a new one from Toyota. It is well worth the cost.

zpi28 likes this.
  3. zpi28

zpi28 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With good battery modules replaced the car will run fine now. I got it up to 85 mph, mpg looks great and everything except the cruise control works. Maybe due to the P3030 code it has. I now have some battery sensing wire ends now. I will get them replaced this week and see if it will clear up. If not I will get a new harness from Toyota.
    I checked the voltage on the bad modules and they are truly at 0V.

4. zpi28

zpi28 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I replaced those two ends and still had the P3030 so I done some more investigating and found that the No 2 Wireframe plug is indeed bad. It has some corrosion on a few of the module pins and the wireframe plug is burnt on 3 pins. Looks like I will do as you suggested dolj and order a new harness from Toyota. They are only $131 and well worth the piece of mind. Thank you for the response.

5. zpi28

zpi28 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I ordered a new wire frame harness from Toyota, great investment. I also found 1 pin burned out of my battery computer. I purchased one off ebay and got it all installed. The P3030 went away but I had another fault for Module 14 voltage. I found one more cell that was at 6.8v compared to all the rest at 7.8V. Took it back apart and replaced that cell. Now they are all happy and the codes cleared. I still had the Triangle but no codes were showing. I put about 40 miles on it letting the battery cycle good. Now all codes and the triangle are clear. I will start driving it to work and see how it performs. It needs the catalytic converter replaced since its broken at the welds.

This car only has 88K miles on it. I picked it up for a really good cheap price due to the battery issue and it had a busted passenger window. All is well for now.

mroberds likes this.