1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Health Testing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by eric1234, Feb 14, 2013.

1. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi All,

I have a few questions for you battery experts out there.

Here's some background:

I've had my 2010 Prius III for 36 months, and have 60k miles.

About 7 months ago (or so), I accidentally left my map light on for about 3 days. The battery was completely drained as a result. I jumped the car, drove home for about 2 hours, and since then haven't noticed significant issues.

Over the last 3 - 4 months, I've noticed what I think was a decline in my MPG. (Hard to say for sure, but it sure "feels" less - my driving style isn't necessarily consistent enough to be confident in this, though).

Two weekends ago, I took a trip (about 3 hours one-way) to New Hampshire. The car performed fine. I mention this because -I imagine- such a trip would represent a great "charging event" for the 12V battery. (Wouldn't it?)

Last Thursday, I came home, and parked my car, and we had Blizzard Charlotte here. My car remained parked and unused for 6 days in the garage.

Yesterday (Wednesday) morning, when I went to start my car, it had insufficient charge. The battery was very weak but not dead (indicated by very, very dim map lights when opening the door). I consider this evidence that I did not leave a map light on or door ajar. (The last time, the battery was fully drained after 3 days of map lights, so if I'd left one on for 6 days, there's no way I'd see them very, very dim, right?)

It just so happens that where I buy my car, the dealer "gave" me free lifetime oil changes and 12v batteries. (That's their schtick).

So, I bring it in for service, and they tell me that they've "tested" the battery, and it's good. Something about good voltage and good cold cranking amps, and that the "health" is just fine. (Surprising, huh? They could either find: (1) I needed a new battery (at their expense); or (2) the battery was "healthy".)

I ultimately persuade them that it should be replaced, and they finally agree to do so. Kudos to them on that (although I don't like to have such "persuasive" discussions).

So, my question (for those battery experts out there are):

1) With my battery's history, including two deep discharges in it's recent past, is it possible that one could find my battery to be in "good" health?
    2) If it's in "good" health how could it have discharged over the last 6 days?
    3) How does a 36 month life compare to what is typical for the OEM prius battery? (They told me they go for over 60 months, but it seems that GEN III battery replacement might be a bit earlier than that).

What I'm really trying to get a sense for: Is it possible that my battery was OK, or, given the above, is it pretty clear that something was wrong and needed replacement?

I'm quite excited to see how my MPG "feels" over the next few tanks... that'll probably be a clue, too...

Thanks for any guidance,
    Eric

Jon Hagen likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm no battery expert, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night.:cool:

3. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In other vehicles where I've installed a "always-on" voltmeter, I've noticed that the battery's voltage after sitting overnight would gradually decrease with the age of the battery. It might be 12.6V when the battery was new, and decrease to perhaps 12.3V for a battery about to fail. The voltmeter that I used was a VDO unit that had a current draw of about 70ma. For the Prius I would used an LCD unit (fused near the source, of course).

I'm about to put a data logger on my 12v battery for about a week and will post the results.

(Actually, with a one minute sampling interval I can get 22 days of readings.)

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There are things that go wrong with Prius 12V batteries that the tester will not find. They cannot measure specific gravity of the electrolyte or individual cell voltages for example. A good test would be an 8 hour test discharge to determine the capacity, compared to what it was when new. But the dealer does not have the time, personnel, or equipment to do that and it is cheaper just to put in a new battery.

My car is 3 1/2 years old and I wouldn't be surprised to have the same problem any time now, although some people have gotten 5 years or more out of their 12V batteries with the Gen2.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Whenever I have a left-a-light-on event, resulting in a near-dead battery I immediately charge the cr*p out of it, using my CTEK 3300. Any similar "intelligent" charger with amperage under 4 will do. Then drive for a day or two, then check voltage with a digital multimeter. If it's around 12.6 or higher, you're out of the woods, but your battery's likely going to die sooner than later.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I only get about 3 1/4 years out of a battery. I know mine is on the low end so I'm shopping for one now. A discharged battery can read "good". I just went through this in a PepBoys. I would have asked the dealer to show me the voltage readings before swapping out the battery.

Charge up the battery overnight & see what it holds. With 2 deep discharges your original, IMO, was on the weak side. I suspect your dealer's idea of dead is that the car won't start and the battery won't hold a charge.

7. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your old battery may have been badly sulfated from the days long total discharge. A sulfated battery will have less capacity than a healthy one, and be slower to charge, as the sulfate interfers with recharging.

I have a BatteryMINDer charger/ desulfator / maintainer permanently installed on my Prius, as I often do not drive it for several months in winter. The normal parasitic electrical drain in a Prius will discharge even a new battery in about two weeks. If I know I will not drive my Prius for a week or longer, I plug in the batteryMINDer to keep the battery fully charged and to remove any sulfation buildup on the battery plates.
    I have had good luck using the little BatteryMINDer charger to not only maintain battery charge, but will slowly remove sulfation over a period of weeks / months. Over a period of months I have had good success bringing even badly sulfated batteries back to like new health. They are no help for a worn out decade old battery or one with a shorted cell, but will over time remove sulfation damage from an otherwise mechqanically sound battery.

Some cheaper charger/ maintainer/ desulfators are not made for a deep cycle AGM battery like what is in your Prius, but the BatteryMINDer unit is .
    BatteryMINDer Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator System — Model# 1500 | Battery Maintainers| Northern Tool + Equipment

The Battery MINDer comes with both battery clip cables for temperory use, or ring terminal cord for permanent mount like I use.
    The battery cord plug hangs in the below floor package tray. When I want to use it, I plug the charger cord and pigtail together, run the cable through the notch where the RR D ring is located, run the cord under the hatch and plug the unit into an extension cord. When not needed, the charger is unplugged from the battery and stored in the package tray under the floor.