1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BATTERY ICON SHOWS THREE LINES ONLY

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kalum, Sep 24, 2014.

1. kalum

kalum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A week ago I brought used 2013 prius done 1500km only. I notice my hybrid battery indicator indicates maximum three bars only most of the time only two bars and when I press ev mode it does not work says low battery. in econ mode in status monitor it shows it runs in ev mode some times. when I asked seller he says it is normal it wont get fully charge but when I watch you tube about prius I notice battery icon is full I am new to hybrid pls tel me why my battery will not get fully charge

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try taking it down a steep, long hill, the longer the better, if possible. If it does not show higher state of charge, that is troubling.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It normally runs about 2/3 full indicated. It will only get full indicated on a long downhill or if "force charged". Note that "full" indicated means about 80% charge. This is to ensure it never overcharges a cell in the battery. "Empty" indicated means about 30% charge. It will never fully charge nor fully discharge the battery, as doing that can damage the battery. The system will take care of the battery, you don't need to worry about its state of charge.

Note also that if "full" indicated the system will try to drain it down to about 2/3. Just drive it around and you will see the charge level rise and fall.
    Using EV mode is inefficient so try to limit how much you do once it allows you to.

The Prius is a gasoline powered car which uses the electric portion to ensure most efficient use of the gasoline engine.

Make sure the battery cooling vent on the rear seat is clear, as you are in a rather warm climate.

4. Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This part seems worrisome, but I've not had my Prius long enough to know. My battery seems to always be at half scale or higher (a 2014 with 1000 in 3 weeks) in a mix of interstate, L.A. freeway, and in-town driving. I've not tried switching it into EV mode; use ECO mode 100% so far.

Above David mentioned "force charged". How is that done, I wonder?

Phil

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You will NOT get good gas mileage force charging, but if you are drag racing, or have a very low battery, you can try it.

Hold the brakes with your left foot, and in D, press the gas with your right foot. Since the car does not move, all the energy is devoted to making electricity.

6. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I believe if it seldom gets above 3 bars in normal use you have a problem. My guess is the HV battery has been abused in some manner and its total capacity has been reduced. Emphasis on the word guess. Some of the experts may have a better explanation.

7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Can you get the service history for your car?

It might have some clues that will help explain why your car is not fully charging and discharging during normal driving.

Also, what is the longest trip you have driven with the new Prius?

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I suspect that the longest diameter of Sri Lanka is not 500 miles, or 800 km.

(I am so old, I remember when Sri Lanka was Ceylon)

9. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you hop on a highway and turn cruise control on, it should tend to get to 6 of 8 bars lit, after some number of miles (assuming no huge up or downhills, and no traffic so you're not braking or accelerating much). In traffic, or if you accelerate very slowly, or if you're using lots of A/C, it's not unlikely that the car will hang around 3 bars.

10. kalum

kalum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the longest distence i have driven so far 150km only i will try with long hill to get it charge
    and also iwant to try what jimbo said and let you know
    thank you

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The advice thus far is good.

I wouldn't necessarily be worried that the indicator is not showing full.

It's true that the Prius is designed to keep the battery in a "middle way" state of charge. That is rarely fully charged...and rarely fully discharged. Also true that the indicator is not really accurate from the standpoint that fully charged...isn't really fully charged, and fully discharged isn't normally- fully discharged.

However,
    I would be worried if it very seldom or never shows more than 3 lines and also never allows for EV mode.

I think the safest way to test the charging ability or capacity of you battery is just to find a hill and drive down it.

In my area, there is about a 1/4 mile nicely paved and "safe" hill. When I come down that stretch my battery is almost always full or near full.
    I also agree that any length of highway driving should also result in a higher state of charge.

You've only owned the vehicle for a week. So here's hoping you just need to drive it more.
    Try a longer downhill portion of driving if you can find it...or just take a highway road trip. The battery SHOULD charge itself higher than 3 lines. If if is not happening or showing? You indeed have a problem.

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Remember he is in a very warm and moist area. So A/C is probably running at full tilt. There is also probably lots of traffic. In the few times I have driven in conditions something like that my battery also runs "low".

As far as EV not being "available", that has been the case in my car about 50% of the time! The "standard" Prius is NOT an EV! Perhaps if I drove it to keep the battery charge up it would work more often, but I'm more interested in good mileage than EV operation.

I don't think there is a problem.

13. kalum

kalum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you all, i did several braking and it indicate five lines i will try with steep hill also i think it will be all right.
    thank you again.

Phil Wheeler and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Am I correct to assume this is a grey import car from Japan?

If so, what is the condition of the 12v battery? Has it been allowed to run empty when the car was being shipped over? If it has and is damaged then the car will be continuously trying to top it up which affects performance, economy and makes it difficult for the car to top the HV battery up - especially if you have your a/c on full.

Test your 12v with a multimeter - there are many many threads on here on how to do that. Do NOT trust the readings the car gives. Another basic way is to wait until first thing in a morning and put the car in Acc mode (not into Ready) and then wind all 4 windows down at once and then back up again. If they go painfully slowly and the interior light goes dull or out, then your 12v is shot. Replace it. They're not an expensive item.

If the 12v turns out ok, then try turning your a/c down and giving the car a good run at about 80 kph or faster. That should help top up the HV battery. Sometimes low speed running with the a/c on high stops HV battery charging easily. Oh, and make sure nothing is blocking the vent in the rear passenger seat (very important).

Do report back on how you've got on.

15. kalum

kalum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    here i am again thank for yours ideas. mow my hv battery is charging well when i go down hill, while braking ect. some time it gets like five to six bars but very soon go back to two bars it prefer stay with two bars is this normal

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ours typically stays closer to the top, say around 3/4 full. If we're on level low-speed streets and I concentrate (too much) on staying in electric-only motivation, I can deplete it, getting down below half, getting down to two bars, if I let it.

But if I just drive normally it will stay near 3/4 full..., it seems to me your battery is marginal, if you have to work hard to raise the level, and normally it stays lower. I suppose just continue to drive and monitor.

17. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No it's not normal to stay at 2/8 bars.

But you haven't answered any of the questions asked about your use of a/c or driving conditions or whether you checked your 12v battery, so we can't really say for sure. My car has had a hard life and still sits at 6/8 bars most of the time and some times 5/8 and sometimes 7/8. It rarely goes to 2/8 unless I'm stuck in heavy traffic for 30 minutes.

18. kalum

kalum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes I allways use a/c on like 26c when outside normally 30/31c I am not driving lot mormally doing city driving flat roads totally less than 100km per day and they checked my 12 v battery and nor defect in it

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it mostly stop and go? that can keep your battery low.

20. Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you have a dealer or a reliable mechanic who knows Prius, you should have it looked at.