1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery in key fob, 2012 Pruis v (lowercase v)

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by JJ67, Jan 7, 2016.

1. JJ67

JJ67 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Taking longer and longer for key fob to open doors, etc. Assume the battery needs to be changed. Have no problem with other fob. How do you change the battery in the key fob for this year model.
    Thanks.
    JJ

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The batteries last 3-4 years. Remove metal key from the side of the fob, use end of blade to pry open fob case, remove enclosed circuit module, open module, replace CR2032 battery, close module, replace in fob case, close case, replace metal key. Voila.

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't be fooled! I noticed similar behaviour with my SmartKey - occasionally the system would not unlock/lock on the passenger side, and so I replaced the batteries in both FOBs (seemed to made sense since they were the same age), but about a week after that, I noticed the 12V battery was starting to fail, so I had the dealer do a load-test, found it bad, and so replaced it - there have been no problems ever since, so what you're seeing might be the first signs of a failing auxiliary (or Management (as the dealer calls it)) battery. Good luck!

4. beachgeek

beachgeek Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I just changed the battery for my 2013 Prius v. It was a CR 1632. Not a 2032.

5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Absolutely right! My error. CR1632/ECR1632

6. JJ67

JJ67 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    thanks. worked perfectly.
    JJ

7. MNKAndrews

MNKAndrews New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Here's a link to a good 1 min video on how to change out the battery.
    My wife drives our Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon)most of the time. She told me that the car was not automatically sensing the key fob (dome lights didn't come on, the car didn't unlock when she touched the handle) when she tried to use it first thing in the morning. We live in Southern California so while it's January, it's still in the mid 40's in the morning so I didn't think the temperature was a factor.
    Once she activated the remote manually, the car seemed to "wake up" and act normally for the rest of the day. After reading some of the other posts, I'm starting to suspect the 12v auxiliary battery...thoughts?
    Here's another bit of weirdness. My first thought when she told me about the car not responding to the fob was that the battery in the key fob was going bad, so I tried to replace them. I had some new CR1632 batteries still in the wrapper so I swapped them out and the remote fails completely. I put a volt meter on them and they read 3.3volts , they are made by "Panther Power". The Panasonic CR1632 batteries that I'm replacing read 2.7 volts. Does anyone know why the "Panther Power" batteries wouldn't work. BTW this happens in both of the fobs we own.

8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Did you check the battery polarity, as installed?

9. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice vid, but when I changed the batteries in my FOBs (Gen II with SKS) I took care to make sure the batteries were clean (i.e. weren't covered in my greasy fingerprints), and I still found that the basic problem was a failing 12V battery (see threads passim) :rolleyes: - hope this helps - Wil

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Also, I think when the fob batteries are getting low, there'll be an in-dash warning. That's what happens on our regular 3rd gen, anyway.

11. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No "low fob battery" warning on the 2012 v Five. Just stops working...

And ironically, the fob whose battery I didn't change a while ago just turned up dead this morning. Now changed.

#11 Air_Boss, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Matt73

Matt73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting... according to the manual on page 60 you are supposed to get an interior 15-second long beep to let you know the battery in the fob is dying...

That said, it is always best not to rely on such things...

I wonder if anyone has considered hiding a spare fob battery under their bumper in one of those old magnetic key hiders... (yes, I know you could store it in the car and use the mechanical key to get in, but the idea of hiding it under the bumper amuses me)

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On 3rd gen Prius there's a text warning. Surprisingly specific and to the point; typically the car's warnings are uselessly vague.

14. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Indeed. According to the manual, there are supposed to be DRLs, too... Just sayin...

Matt73 likes this.