1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery installed backwards

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jim Fav, Mar 11, 2023.

1. Jim Fav

Jim Fav New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a 2010 prius where the battery was installed backwards. It didn't blow the relay near the positive terminal of the lead acid battery like i thought it should have. It did blow multiple fuses under the hood including the fuse to the ECU. I have replaced all of the blown fuses under the hood. I also replaced the fusible link under the hood and checked the fuses under the steering column on the drivers side. of the cab I also replaced the inverter thinking that it was also destroyed. The car turns on, makes a humming noise, shows the triangle of death but doesn't display the speedometer and ready display. I tied to pull codes, but I don't seem to have power the the obd2 port.

Does anyone have any ideas what what else to do?

Thank you!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can you say more of what you mean by "the relay near the positive terminal of the lead acid battery"? I'm not aware of such a thing in my 2010.

There's more than one fuse serving the ~ two dozen ECUs in the car.

By "the fusible link under the hood" do you mean the 125 amp DC/DC fuse that the fuse box has to be disassembled for access to?

My thinking would lean toward something fairly simple still overlooked, or something not quite done right in replacing the inverter. I assume you did all your fuse replacements first, the car still wouldn't work, and then you did the inverter? Did anything about the behavior change from before to after you did the inverter?

A nice thing about the blade fuses used in the car is they have test points on top. With your meter, without a whole lot of fuss, you can start figuring out where there is and isn't voltage with the car turned on.