1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery installed now car will not start!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mamad48, Apr 3, 2014.

1. mamad48

mamad48 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My mechanic installed a new Hybrid battery in my 2005 Pruis using the repair manual and a video that showed him how to do it. He also replaced the harness and the ECU battery. When he tries to start the car all of the lights light up on the dash but no ready light on the start button and the car will not start. The instructions did not say anything about this issue so he is lost! He thinks the smart key and the ECU have to be synced in some way but doesn't know how to do it. (none of the books covered this. Toyota wanted $5,000 to replace the battery. I am retired and on very limited income so I couldn't afford $5,000! Can any one help me? Please!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    make sure the orange traction interlock is fully closed.

KK6PD likes this.
  3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do believe Bisco nailed it!!

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, check the service plug that bisco referred to above. Here is how you take out and put in the service plug. Print out the attached file and give it to your mechanic. Last step is critical to make it work. Sounds like he missed the last step.

Attached Files:

usnavystgc likes this.
  5. yangjiesheng

yangjiesheng Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's the Brake Switch that under the Brake Pedal.
    I onced had the issue, thought it's the ECU or Traction Battery.. ended.. it's the brake switch which doesn't like up at the rear and so, ECU will not turn the car to "Ready" mode.

Go and check it out.[​IMG]

6. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Couple things here......
    1) Where did you buy this new traction battery? Dealer? Other? (will help us understand what we are dealing with)
    2) Did the mechanic charge the battery before installing it? (should be around 50-60% state of charge before install)
    3) Did the mechanic double check all the wiring again? (some connectors may not be making full contact)
    4) Did the mechanic re-install the service orange plug on the battery again as mentioned above?
    5) Did the mechanic check the brake switch for contact as mentioned above?

The smart key does not need to be sync'd with the hybrid battery ECU, but not sure why he replaced it and the harness either.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, it's either up and running, or he sold it.:cool: