1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mjoo, Nov 28, 2016.

1. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm looking to get a gen4 Prius in the near future and there's something that I have to know. Will the Lithium battery pack from the Level 2 eco- level 5 fit and work inside of a level 2 and vice versa - NiMH battery pack into a car that had a lithium battery?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not from something I read when I was researching - you'd have to change the charging programming, the temperature sensors - essentially the computer - you might as well just change the car. The are different sizes and weights too, so the brackets, mounting holes etc could well be different.

Why would you want to - they're both the same capacity?

Trollbait, RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are lots of Level 2's out there and I may get a better deal on one of those. However, one could argue that lithium battery technology has more headroom for improvement. I can't post a link yet but look up the company 24M. Recent press:

"The winner was 24M, for the 24M Semisolid Lithium-Ion Battery, a technology that has the potential to cut costs on existing technologies by 50%. This would be transformative if accomplished as it would immediately accelerate the deployment of EVs, renewables, etc."

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you confusing models? what is a level 2 eco-level 5?

RCO likes this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Changing battery technologies requires charging circuit changes which would likely involve the vehicle software.

RCO likes this.
  6. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    AFAIK the Prii with lithium batteries are level 2 eco and all the more expensive models up to level 5
    Only Prii with NiMH is the base model (level 2)

bisco likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For US Gen 4 (2016 & 2017) the level 2 Eco, 3, 3 Touring, 4, 4 Touring (there is no 5) have lithium. All previous US Prius liftbacks have NiMH.
    You do not state your country, so this information may not apply to you. For example, I believe all Canadian Gen 4 Prius liftbacks are NiMH.

#7 Prodigyplace, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm sure the chassis is made with the mounting points for both. Temperature sensors and such should be included in the pack itself.

But the two chemistries have different characteristics resulting in different charging and discharging profiles. Assuming all the hardware beyond the pack itself is the same, the software will need to be changed by a dealer or tuner to recognize the different pack.
    And Li-ion batteries have variable chemistries that could keep a pack not using the one put in by Toyota non-compatiable. The prizmatic NiMH cells used in the Prius have a lot more in common to the off the shelf cylindrical ones in an original Insight, but a simple cell to cell swap simply isn't possible.

In short, hybrid battery packs aren't upgradable.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the deals are that much better on level 2, you'll be better served to buy one now, and if a miracle does occur in lithium tech, trade in. it will be at least 5 years and probably more like 10. and then, it won't likely be a miracle, just forward moment in technology.

RCO, Trollbait and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Buy the car you want, ignore which battery it has - it is of no real consequence. Fiddling with aftermarket batteries will likely void your 8 or 10 year warranty (you didn't state which part of the world you're in), and, unless you really knew what you were doing, would almost certainly have driveability or other issues. It's not like a car in the '60s where you could drop in a different motor, gearbox or even a turbocharger, it's heavily integrated into the fibre of the car.

NiMH is tried and tested over years of use, TOYOTA wouldn't be putting Li-ION in PRIUS, arguably the most reliable car on the planet if they weren't convinced about it's longevity.

More important, make sure you get DRCC (Radar Cruise).

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All 2017 have DRCC. I think you need to go up to the 2016 Three with ATP to get DRCC.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  12. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think anyone knows this for sure yet. Obviously the charging software would be different, but maybe that's already baked in. The computer might check to see what type of car it is every time it turns on. Call it a power on self test. That would make manufacturing easier. Only one code to maintain.

pjm877, RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Considering the levels of electricity in these packs, there is also the risks of injury and death.

I would be surprised if the code didn't have both in all the cars, but the one not required for a particular car is likely locked.

Take GM's 1.4L turbo. It was designed for flex fuel applications, and the ECM code has the E85 fuel trim maps, but simply installing an alcohol sensor isn't enough to get flex fuel ability. You need tuning software to get into the code, and turn the flex fuel ability on.

alanclarkeau, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @mjoo must be in the USA as he mentions Gen4 2 eco.
    It's probably not realistic to expect a drop-in replacement of a new technology battery, as a buying decision. If a new technology does come along, you could go to a shop like Boulder (Colorado) Plug-in Conversions to put the new battery in there. Not cheap, but in CO it s heavily tax credited, is why Paul set up business there. Not clear that NiMH vs. Li batt matters too much on that conversion. You might want the spare tire version for the battery space, but that's simply a change out of foam insert in the back.

alanclarkeau and Prodigyplace like this.
  15. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I read a lot of marketing hype. I'll believe "transformative" when the company delivers on its promises.

Also see A123 battery company; I'm not sure of the state of this company (i believe they went bankrupt at least once), but the same MIT inventor (Chiang) is referred to by both companies.

William Redoubt and alanclarkeau like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @mjoo : Me too, why do want to do this?

Or just get a level 3??

mjoo, alanclarkeau and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    OK, if I were designing the Prius all of the battery dependent software would be loaded in the battery ECU that is packaged along with the battery. The interfaces to the rest of the car could then be independent of the battery chemistry (as long as the various battery types have about the same output voltage range, same current handling capacity and similar physical packaging).

Since Toyota has engineers that are at least as smart as I, it is likely that they can be swapped. However as someone mentioned earlier, why bother?

JeffD

alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just looked at the 2017 brochure, to refresh my memory. The battery voltages are different.
    The Ni-MH is 201.6 volts and the Li-ion is 207.2 volts. That is not a large difference, but it needs to be noted.
    See http://www.toyota.com/content/ebrochure/2017/prius_ebrochure.pdf

alanclarkeau likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think a123 got bought by the chinese, i wonder what chiang is up to, more gov grants?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  20. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's also the aspect of VIN coding. I'm not sure if TOYOTA is doing it, but a friend with a reasonably new BMW (I think that's what it was, might have been Merc?), just out of warranty, power window motor packed up, got one from the wreckers, tested it and it worked, but wouldn't in the car. It had been locked by BMW (Merc?) to only work on that VIN - or was it that the car was locked to not work on stray parts, not totally sure.

RCO likes this.