1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery issues, help!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jakemadash, Apr 19, 2021.

1. jakemadash

jakemadash New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello! I've committed the cardinal sin of car ownership and didn't drive my prius for maybe 6-8 weeks. I won't bore you with the back story on that, but as you can imagine I'm now having problems.

The car wasn't turning on, so we connected jumper cables to the 12V battery in the back, and it turned on without even powering up the other car. Unfortunately, that seems to be the only way to turn it on at this point, the fobs do nothing.

I'm guessing this has everything to do with the battery and nothing to do with the fobs themselves, correct? The fob batteries are definitely okay but don't work on the doors or anything else at this point.

We replaced the 12V battery just under three years ago, so I'm hoping it may still have some life unless that 6-8 week period of inactivity just ruined it.

Is that possible? Am I able to revive the battery or do I need to bite the bullet and get a new one? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not only possible but VERY likely.
    Giving it a slow charge overnight might recover it enough to drive to a battery store for a replacement.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    should be fine, but you will need to drive it a lot, or let it sit in ready for most of the day

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    BAD advice.
    Once the 12 V battery gets low enough that the car won't start, it likely has lost a LOT of it's useful life.
    Whether or not you want to gamble on charging it up and continuing to drive it is a personal decision.
    But "should be fine" is not a good judgement call.

5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should still have a warranty on it, prorated, but you'll get some money reduced off the new one.
    Charging it might bring it back to life, but the batteries life is greatly reduced anytime it's drained like yours.

Are you willing to take the risk of it failing at the worst time? Do you have a jumper box?

Grit likes this.
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i got poo pooed on for doing this for only 10 mins to do quick stop in the stores with parking brakes on. But most of the day? Do you know how many people lives will be in danger :ROFLMAO:

7. jakemadash

jakemadash New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone! It's not our primary car anymore, mostly just used for doing stuff in the immediate area, so I may try to revive it since we have AAA and another car and everything. How much driving do you reckon I'd have to do in order to charge it if I didn't want to let it sit in ready all day?

8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    you can take the battery to a local auto part shop, theyll put it in what looks like battery incubator and charge it for you that way for free. They’ll even call you once it’s done charging to go pick up. That’s if your local auto parts store offer this great service.

9. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ugh, well I am hardly an expert on these car's?? We got our Gen Two from my wife's BIL for free because we needed a car and he the 2005 just sitting because they bought newer model's.

The original battery pack failed just short of 150,000 miles and ten year's, so we got it with a new OEM Battery Pack. The original 12 volt battery had been replaced but the car sat for month's unused before we got it and the rest is par for the course.

If you don't drive them or put the 12 volt battery on a battery tender. The Prius will eat them as a snack! It won't start or won't unlock?? And you will be chasing the key fob as being the issue?? I am on the Rennlist, (Porsche Board) and couple of Toyota Board's, Chevrolet Tahoe Boards the PT Cruiser Board. And the Daewoo Board sigh ... that last one was an expensive time consuming POC!!

When the tranny failed the second time (after being rebuilt by AAMCO!) My wife said enough of that crap and had it hauled off by Pick and Pull. :(

But my point is among all those brand's ... no one cared about the 12 volt battery, if it showed 12 volt's or more those car's would start! The only time the 12 volt was mentioned was if you wanted to move the battery from the front to the back. Other than that no one cared about the 12 volt Battery. :)

But the "Prius??" LOL, don't drive it, let the 12 volt go flat?? And it will send you down a rabbit hole of "issue's," because you know it can't be that?? Sigh, yet again my wife stepped in she drove our 2005 to the local Hybrid Shop. And par for the course it was the 12 volt battery. Problem(s) solved!

I would say just bite the bullet and replace the 12 volt battery and if you don't plan to drive it a lot, disconnect the ground and put on a Battery Tender.

Other wise it's "this issue," now but next time it will be something else?? Just my two cent's. :)

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, 'prius eats 12 volts for lunch' should be the moniker. there is a lot of drainage going on while the car is off.

Samuel Williams Jr likes this.