1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery keeps going dead

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lori Peek, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Lori Peek

Lori Peek New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 Prius base model with 330,000 miles. Love my car!!However the front battery doesn't want to hold a charge for more than 1 day. Battery is less than 1 yr old, bought in Dec of 2015. The only thing I can figure is the back latch metal part is "broken" on back hatch, therefore you can't lock that part of car. Also, on the dash it continues to show an "open door" signal. Any suggestions/recommendations??? Thanks!!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There should be a warranty on your battery, return it and get a new one.

As for the hatch, you can get that part replaced

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your first priority should be repairing/replacing the latch. A new battery will be drained by the car until that is fixed.

Be very careful jumping the 12 volt battery, doing it badly can cost $4000 for a new inverter.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As Jimbo alluded to: it's likely the ajar hatch that's draining your battery. When it's not closed there's courtesy lights (and other stuff?) drawing current.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  5. Lori Peek

Lori Peek New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can i just shut off the courtesy light?? It's the latch above the bumper that isn't working correctly. I just think or want the expense of replacing latch due to high costs. Heck, it's got 330,000 and how much more money to put into it it could totally die tomorrow-I hope not though. The air compressor need to be replaced at over 800.00 and decided not to due to cost.

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    you should have the rear door catch repaired with an original part by a qualified mechanic.

7. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's kind of a big deal to get the back door latched and sealed properly. If you don't do that, get one of those cheap carbon monoxide detectors and pay attention to it. Don't wake up dead.

And what do you mean by "front" battery? The large, high voltage hybrid battery is in front of the smaller 12V battery, which is near the back bumper. The open hatch should not be draining the hybrid battery overnight--that's out of the circuit (isolated from 12V loads) when the car's off, AFAIK. If the hybrid battery is draining overnight, it's probably not due to the open door.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It might be more than just the courtesy light. For sure shut that off asap though. On our 3rd gen if hatch is open some dang footwell lights also go on.

9. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe Lori means the 12V battery, just isn't aware in the Prius, it's actually in the back. I've noticed the behavior on my Prius that the 12V battery seems to get drained much more quickly than it should when a door is ajar (example, if I'm working on my car for a day and have the door open). My best guess is that the Prius turns on an ECU or two that draw power when a door is open, which in turn kills the battery. I don't think just turning off the lights is sufficient. I think you have three options:

1. Fix the door latch yourself. It shouldn't be too hard to get one from a junkyard or perhaps ebay.
    2. Go to a mechanic to have it fixed.
    3. Either short or open the sensor circuit so that the car always thinks the rear hatch is shut. If there's an air gap in the trunk from it not sealing properly, I'd due as Andrew suggested and get carbon monoxide detector in the cabin. Breathing exhaust fumes is a no-no.

If the trunk still securely latches, I'd probably go with option 3 on such a high mileage car, as I have the electrical expertise to do it. However to do this you'll need to look up the sensor in the Prius' wiring diagram. There might also be a way to mechanically cause the sensor to always think the door is shut. If your trunk doesn't latch, it's a safety issue, and you need to fix it.

You most likely need a new 12V battery as well. Being completely drained a few times kills most lead acid batteries.

#9 Kevin_Denver, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check and make sure there's no debris in the latch

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat lori!(y)

12. Lori Peek

Lori Peek New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The front battery is under the hood, on the drivers side.

13. Lori Peek

Lori Peek New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After visiting videos for jump start a prius, I realized that they called the black box as a fuse box-with positive charge that you put the red jumper cable on. My mistake on not realizing that this was not the battery-just assumed it was.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    (1) As someone else mentioned, it is more than just the courtesy light. Some other electrical stuff, possibly an entire computer or controller, is also staying powered up waiting for that door to be properly and completely closed.

(2) If it keeps draining the 12V overnight, it is functionally dead NOW!

15. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Easy mistake to make, just needed to clarify. Welcome to the forum, and good luck fixing your car.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not clear on what's not working with the hatch latch. I do know, if you're (for example) transporting something that won't allow the hatch to close, you can spoof closing by putting something like a large chain link, padlock or caribiener (sic?) in where the hatch would go.

Not sure if this is applicable here.

17. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure what the official Toyota name for it is, but the Body Control Module (Generic Electric Module / Lighting Control Module / Electric system Controller) is staying AWAKE because one of the door switches is sending a signal that the door/hatch is not closed.

Given the SMALL - low Cold Cranking Amps and more importantly small Reserve Capacity battery that a Prius uses, it does not take much of a current drain to KILL IT DEAD. The 12V batteries in a Prius are about 1/3 the capacity of a battery in a typical car.

Any decent body shop can fix this quick and cheap, way lower cost than a mechanic shop :)