1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery life and rejuvenation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Frank.S, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Frank.S

Frank.S New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am new to the Prius. I purchased a used 2006 and I've noticed that the battery bar is usually 3-4 bars. It has dropped as low as 1 bar while I was driving and climbed as high as 5--never more. Obviously I'd like to ensure that the HV battery lasts for as long as possible. What are your thoughts on battery reconditioning? There may be others available, but the one that I've seen is the Prolong system on hybridautomotive. Their Deluxe Reconditioning Package lists a pair of devices, a charge/rebalance unit and a discharge unit that takes the battery to 0.1V/cell before a final charge.

1. Is this dangerous?
    2. Has anyone used this (or a similar device) to maintain their battery?

2. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Jmack111, RCO and jerrymildred like this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome
    @Raytheeagle has used the deluxe package. There are many others in that linked thread too.
    Jeff from Hybrid Automotive is here too as @jeff652
    Since I have tagged those users they may respond here too.

RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Asides using the hybrid automotive chargers, you could also use other hobby chargers to recondition your battery pack.

Dxta

chronon and Old Wrench It like this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

We have a 2010 Prius II now with 170 k miles and going strong:).

How many miles on Your Prius ?

I have the Hybrid Automotive Charger and Intelligent Discharger and they work well;).

I began doing the reconditioning cycles before the battery failed, and this was a bit sooner than your situation. Based on the battery behavior you are describing, you are on the verge of losing one or more modules:(.

If you have the funds, I would look to get their kit as soon as possible and begin reconditioning your pack. If you get a code and have their kit, it’s not the end of the world and now you’ve made module replacement and pack balancing as easy as it gets:).

Hope that helps (y).

Prodigyplace, RCO and jerrymildred like this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    +1 to what @Raytheeagle just wrote!

I've been using the original system with the light bulb discharge on our Gen 2 cars since we first got them in 2014. Great tool! The new systems are even better. If you're going to do this, I'd suggest doing it right away since it looks like you still have a good chance of considerably extending your battery's life. Once you install the cable, it's plug and play.

7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As Jerry can attest, do not rush the process. One time he did not let the battery sit after a long charge. He ended up needing to replace the battery, :(

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not totally worthless. You can always use me for a bad example. :oops:

But it turned out well in the long run, I think, even though it's not what I would have chosen.

RCO, Prodigyplace and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry, you are the only suffering example I am aware of. :(:oops:

10. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Or the only one willing to share(y).

RCO, jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Long suffering, but of great goodness! (y)

12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was going to say he is the only one CONFIDENT enough to share.
    Many people take failure personally, especially if they intellectually knew it was wrong.

RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes, see the link in my signature below to read about my experiences with grid charging. Bottom line: the sooner one starts battery maintenance the better.

14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You folks are too kind. I just figured out years ago that saying, "My bad!" is amazingly disarming. ;)

15. Old Wrench It

Old Wrench It Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just starting a regeneration project on my 2010 Prius. While driving it on occasion by clearing the bad hybrid battery code, P0A080, my apps, Hybrid Assistant, and Hybrid Doctor showed wide swings of discharge and charging dipping below the 40 percent range as low as 25 % and then above the 80 % range to 85%. When days were warmer I ran Hybrid assistant with automatic fan on to keep packs cooler - seemed to help. This started back in January and I stopped running it last week after seeing a lot of dangerous charge signals/warnings with higher than normal voltages. But what's strange is that the worst looking cells, 6 and 10 seemed to improve somewhat...or maybe the rest have degraded more. Last week, last day I ran it took it to Toyota dealer and paid them $133 to check it all out. They said it all looked good except for cells 6 and 10 as I had been thinking. They offered to sell me a new one for $3200, but since it's usually hard to just buy food and we're maxed out credit wise am opting to rebuild/regenerate. Have 4 modules got off the internet, arrived today along with my Pay pal paid, (more credit !), RC charger discharger devices. Picked up a Tenergy TB6B, and a HTRC H200 AC/DC. Also got a used MR 959 for charge only I believe. Will post some pics later, time to get to work, daylights burning. Very thankful for this site and all the work you guys have shared. Mark

SFO, RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

Old Wrench It likes this.
  17. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Dont use that energy bar as an exact reading. It is an approximation of HV charge.

SFO likes this.
  18. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How many many miles on your 2010?

Any other issues other than the battery?

Has it always spent its life in sunny San Diego?

SFO and Old Wrench It like this.
  19. Old Wrench It

Old Wrench It Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It has close to 180,000 on it. It's a S CA car, got it used with about 44K miles on it in 2013. It's been great up until this past November when I was doing a late Uber run at 2:30 am, blew a tire out and then all the dash lights came on. Changed tire in middle of country road a few miles from home. Seemed to drive fairly normally even with the lights flashing. Thought perhaps the Processor got overheated and threw the code. Part of what I asked them to check last week. Had the update to Processor done in 2014. Mileage got worse and worse, I changed out everything I could think of, new tranny oil, plugs, PCV, coolant, new brakes, flushed the lines... mileage settled around 40 mpg sometimes a bit better sometimes a bit worse.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

You’ll also want to cleanse the egr system, as that will likely be clogged:(.

Look in the Gen3 maintenance section and there are @NutzAboutBolts videos pinned at te top:).

They’ll show you how to remove, clean and replace the egr cooler, egr valve and intake manifold ;).

But the hv battery is a different aspect. If going the hobby charger route, you’ll want to charge/discharge the modules, but this won’t allow for doing the whole pack as one. There were a coupon low of members here looking to get the Hybrid Automotive Prolong equipment. @Mavi was one of them.

I own the Prolong equipment with another member here. I will be doing a 2 cycle reconditioning over Easter to keep our 2010 with 176 k miles going strong:).

Good luck with your rebuild (y).